Chapter 19 ~ I'll be your friend!

Chapter 19

Your face lit up. You couldn’t wait to face Ryner. You went to stand when a big pair of arms wrapped themselves around you and pulled you back down.

“I don’t think so,” Axel said eying Ryner. He pulled you back so quickly you were now sitting in his lap as his arms were firmly wrapped around your middle.

“It’s fine Axel, I can take this guy,” you tried to wriggle free but he kept adjusting his grip each time you moved. For once it didn’t look like he would let you get away.

“If you’re looking for a fight why don’t you take me on? I’m all fired up” Natsu stood up ready to take on the challenge. Ryner looked from you to Natsu and back again.

“------,” Ryner sighed walking toward the middle of the field, “Are you coming or not?” You adjusted your weight and pulled against Axel with all your might finally breaking free. His hands quickly tried to grab at you again but you preformed a teleportation spell and popped out in front of the class.

“Sorry guy’s but I’m the only one Ryner here could possibly face,” you said as the majority of your class yelled in protest. You walked out to the middle of the field to join Ryner.

“You think they’d be mad if I put up a barrier?” He asked.

“Um… from you probably not the best idea,” You told him recalling how your dorm mates had been quite upset the last time he had used one. “I got this one,” you said raising your hands and placing a barrier around your classmates instead of the two of you. They were evidently extremely unhappy as you noticed a few of them try to break it but you wanted your room to move.

“Okay let’s see,” Ryner said scratching his chin. “I know it’s us but this is still supposed to be a class so in keeping with magical combat rules are no weapons, magic only.”

“Okay sounds fair.” You nodded in agreement. You stood about a good ten metres apart and readied yourself.

“Ready,” a smirk appeared on Ryner’s lips.

“Set,” you grinned.

“GO!” you yelled in unison both using a speed spell to propel yourselves forward. You met in the middle and began what looked very much like a well-choreographed dance as you both went to strike and dodge with extraordinarily timed precision neither of you laying a hit. It wasn’t unusual for this to happen as many of your sparring matches with Ryner over the years began this way. After a good couple of minutes of sparring you decided that this wasn’t going to get anywhere fast as you were both too in sync so you cast a flare spell between the two of you. You both put up a magical shield and road the magical blast away from each other.

A battle with Ryner was never really a place for words. You usually just exchanged grins and smirks as you pretty much knew exactly how the other would react. With a wave of your arm you sent a surge of thunder lances straight for him. Anticipating your attack he sent a lot of his own straight back, colliding with yours to form a screen of sparks. You used the sparks as cover to teleport right behind him and attempted to kick him in the side. He caught your leg and flung you around, sending you flying straight for the wall of sparks. Cloaking yourself in an electricity barrier you sailed straight through and landed gracefully on the other side. The wall of sparks subsided and you were back where you had started. Smirking at each other, as you stood ten metres apart on the field.