Chapter 38~The Towering Tower!

Chapter 38

"What's the time?" You asked the group for probably the hundredth time.

"Just one more minute," Cloud replied checking the time on his phone. Earlier in the day, after you had returned to the gummi ship, you came up with a plan based off the information you had overheard from the students on the roof. You had decided to return to the school as a group just before midnight and see what would happen. In the mean time you had taken turns of returning to the school in groups of two but hadn't come across anything new. This was your only lead and you just hoped it would lead to something.

The five of you had been waiting outside the school gate since quarter to twelve and you were just bursting at the seams for something to happen.

"You're not much for patience" Zexion commented, his gaze directed at you.

"It's been a very uneventful day. Forgive me for wanting to get on with the mission." You pouted back.

"All secrets reveal themselves in time. Rushing through life won't necessarily get you anywhere," Zexion spoke, a philosophical air about him.

"Right," You deadpanned. "Next time I want a vague, mystic remark, I'll come see you, grandpa." He merely turned away from you to look back at the school.

"Guys! Guys! It's almost time!" Ventus cheered as he watched the timer he'd set up on his phone. "Five, four..." Tifa and Cloud got up from where they were sitting on the floor. "Three, two..." Zexion and you straightened yourselves as you all gathered together eyes peeled to the building. "One!" Ven exclaimed and with that everything began to change. The moon took on an eerie green glow, casting its unnerving light over the world bellow. A thick red substance oozed from pavement, trees and nearby buildings, to form puddles about the place. Your eyes flicked around the creepy scene before they snapped to the school building which began shifting and moving as if brought to life. It quickly rose into the sky until it shifted into the tower you had seen the night before. One made of varying architecture styles that mingled grotesquely. A few waves of dark energy emanated from the building washing over you in a surge of ecstasy, feeding your dark magic. It somehow filled you with energy and made you feel overcome at the same time. You weren't quite sure how all this was going to pan out.

"Whoa," Tifa breathed out snapping you out of your stunned awe.

"What the- Hey guys, check this out." You turned to Ventus as he tapped at his phone. "It's stopped working." You reached out and took it from him to have a look while Cloud and Tifa took out their own phones.

"They're all dead," Cloud remarked.

"Perhaps technology doesn't work in this space." Zexion Suggested. You shoved the phone back at Ventus who fumbled to grab it as a thought crossed your mind.

"Everyone check your communicators," you ordered as you tried your own. No response.

"I got nothing," Tifa said.

"Same here," Cloud agreed.

"Dammit," You let out an exasperated sigh. So much for Kurosaki's plan.

"Hold on a minute," Ven bought a hand to his chin as if he were thinking. "There must be some way to get technology to work cause we landed the Gummi ship at this time last night. We would have crashed if technology doesn't work here." He pointed out.

"And we did follow that motorbike," Tifa added.

"Right, well why do you think the ship worked?" you asked.

"Maybe the backup system" Cloud offered.

"Right and what's that?" you questioned.

"There's an emergency energy reserve that kicks on if the engine fails. It's a surge of artificial electricity that can keep the ship running for at least five hours if the engine shuts down." He explained.