Chapter 41 ~ Until Next Time!

Chapter 41

You charged forward as you summoned your lightning blades to your hands. A keyblade formed in Vanitas' hands, which he used to guard your first strike before narrowly dodging your second. You had never seen a keyblade like it. It was so dark, void of any light, almost looking like a monster itself.

You didn't have a lot of time to ponder the makeup of his weapon as he launched his counter attack. He swung his blade with purpose, a strength and determination in his eyes. You refused to let it over come you. You were determined too. You crossed your blades in front of you, catching his keyblade were they met before repelling it back by quickly spreading your arms. Instead of leaving yourself open you continued the movement of your left arm in an arc, coming back to strike at him. Your right arm followed fluidly slashing toward his torso. He dodged the first strike easily but that was the whole purpose of the second. He wasn't quite able to move back in time as the blade grazed over his side only lightly slicing into skin. A wicked grin glossed over his face, his yellow eyes shimmering like an animal.

"Now that's not playing very nice," he clicked his tongue in distaste before mounting his counter strike. He swung at you in a rage. Pelting you with strike after strike. All you could do was back up toward the wall behind you as you moved your arms as fast as you could to block each strike. It took you a while to notice, what with his flurry of strikes and all, but he seemed to be striking only with the back of his blade.

Even in his rage he had no intention of seriously wounding you. Interesting to know. With your thoughts slightly off topic, you didn't notice the presence of the wall closing in behind you. In a second there'd be nowhere to run...

~Meanwhile on the other side of the wall~

"-----!" Ven called out to you but had no opportunity to intervene before Vanitas sent you through the ice wall.

"You can save her in a minute. We have to deal with this first!" Junpei exclaimed as he dove in front of Ven to defend him from the Dark Thorns incoming strike.

"Pay attention," Mitsuru scolded as she used her persona to attack the Dark Thorn with ice magic. "If you can't protect yourself how do you expect to protect others."

"Right," Ven shook his head clear before taking up his fighting stance, keyblade at the ready. He charged at the beast using wind magic to increase his speed. On his approach, he flipped himself into the air, rising high above its head. One strike, two strikes three strikes. Each connecting on the top of its head, stunning the Dark Thorn as he sailed through the air before landing defensively behind it.

Unfortunately, the beast was only stunned for a few seconds before it's shock turned to anger. In seconds, the Dark Thorn flicked out of its form and began darting through the hall, flying through the shadows in a dark purple haze. It moved so fast the eye could barely follow it. Out of nowhere it would rematerialize just to charge through one of the three before shifting into the shadows again.

They were taking a serious beating, none of them quite fast enough to interrupt its endless onslaught of attacks. Ventus couldn't think fast enough. His mind just kept traveling to the thought of being unable to save you. He wasn't focused. Junpei was doing all he could just to keep his sword in front of himself to block the full brunt of the Dark Thorns blows but he could only keep it up for so long, his stamina fading fast. Mitsuru was using a jagged block of ice to try and shield herself while scratching at the beast with each of it strikes. While it was making some impact, it wasn't doing enough damage to take down the beast before her magic energy ran out.

At this rate, they were done for.

"Found you," Came a quiet voice into Ven's ear. His eyes immediately widened as he recognised the voice coming through his earpiece. Zexion.