Chapter 18 ~ Hit 'em in the Scruff!

Chapter 18

After everyone had gotten changed back into their normal uniform it was finally time to head to lunch. When you reached the cafeteria you had absolutely no idea who to sit with. You had just decided to go get your lunch card and see if Ryner showed up when Yuffie jumped on you placing an arm around your shoulder.

“Hey ------, you’re sitting with us today,” she beamed.

“Okay, sounds good,” you smiled back happily as your lunch plans had just sorted themselves out. Yuffie and you got your cards before she began leading you over to her table.

“Cause you know you promised to have dinner with us last night but you skipped out,” Yuffie pouted.

“Sorry about that… I was a little busy,” you gave a sheepish grin as the two of you sat down at a table for six joining Cloud, Tifa, Leon and Zack.

“Busy with what?” Tifa asked.

“Yeah, where did you disappear to last night,” Zack eyed you.

“Makarov had some business he wanted me to take care of and I did,” You explained not sure whether to bring up last night’s actual events as it might make the others worry even more.

“Between taking care of Makarov’s business and returning to the dorm how did you get so badly beaten up?” Cloud questioned.

“Well…” you trailed off.

“-------,” Leon pressed.

“That was the business,” you vaguely explained.

“Makarov’s business was for you to be beaten up?” Yuffie raised a surprised eyebrow.

“Of course not, I just had a slight accident along the way,” you clarified.

“What kind of business results in that kind of accident?” Leon pressed. It was now extraordinarily clear to you that they were not going to drop the subject so you decided it would probably just be easier to tell the truth.

“Okay guys one of the reasons I came to this school was to help protect it from incoming threats. Last night I was placed on patrol duty and took out a couple of fiends but they took me of guard and I got injured. Don’t worry it won’t happen again,” you tried to assure them.

“Damn right it won’t happen again! They can’t let the students fight the schools battles,” Zack complained dramatically standing up.

“Cool it Zack, I want to be doing this,” you told him.

“But ------ we don’t want to see you get hurt,” Yuffie explained for once pulling a sad face.