Chapter 39 ~ And Who Are You?

Chapter 39

Not good. It seemed that somewhere between climbing the staircase and getting here, you had misplaced your team.

"Come in, come in, can anyone here me," You tried your earpiece for what felt like the hundredth time but was more like the fifth. There was no response. You must have been out of range. You had looked at the wall over and over again but there was no discernible way to get back. It was doubtful they could still be on the other side anyway, as you were the last one up the stairs. Letting out an exasperated sigh and rubbing at your temples, you decided your only option was to carefully and stealthily investigate the area in an attempt to find them.

You began down a path to your left. Everything looked clear. You peered around the next left and spotted a monster immediately. It was a bird type beast with a red mask covering where it's eyes would be. It hadn't noticed you yet and was flying toward the opposite end of the hallway. In a flash you darted around the corner and sent a bolt of electricity at it. It fell slightly before catching itself, flinging around, not yet defeated. Before it had the chance to recover properly, you struck it two more times causing it to burst apart like the previous monsters. You quietly continued to the end of the hallway until you neared the corner. You were about to peer out to check if the coast was clear when the sound of footsteps entered your ears. The immediate thought to hit you was that it was one of your team members but there was also the chance it could be another monster. You played it safe and tried your earpiece once more but there was no response. You sighed slightly disheartened. You had every confidence you could make it on your own but it's not like you could complete the mission without them. They were your responsibility and you had to make sure they all made it out of here okay.

The sound of footsteps was getting closer. You didn't have time for this. Without another pause you set a warning shot of electricity around the corner.

"Watch out," Came an unfamiliar feminine voice.

"Woah! What the hell was that?" A male voice cried out. Well that was unexpected.

"It came from that direction. Let's check it out." The female voice ordered. Not good. The sound of footsteps increased. In a flash you back tracked down the hall but couldn't retreat fast enough.

"Hey, It's a girl." The male voice called. You turned to face the pair unsure whether this would end up being a good thing or a bad thing. Especially since the boy girl pair stood in front of you were both armed with swords. They were both dressed in the uniform for the school this tower used to be. The girl had long, flowing red hair and a sharp rapier in her right hand. The Boy had short hair covered by a baseball cap and a large two handed sword, lazily held in one hand.

"Who are you and how did you get in here?" The girl questioned, an air of authority about her. You decided to play nice.

"I'm -------, I came in here looking for someone." You gave them the short version.

"But how did you get in here?" The girl shook her head.

"The front door?" you replied as more of a question not sure if that was what she wanted to hear.

"But it shouldn't be possible," She spoke allowed but more to herself.

"Maybe she's a persona user, Mitsuru senpai," The boy turned to the girl, you now assume to be called Mitsuru. They spoke quietly amongst themselves for a minute leaving you standing there. You quickly grew impatient. You weren't sure if you could actually trust these people but you had to try something.

"I came in here with some friends and we've been separated. Have you seen anyone else in here?" You asked, interrupting the two who immediately started paying attention to you again.