12

Standing on stage rehearsing, August watched as Mackenzie moved back and forth while on the phone. With his manager being down with the flu, when needed, she doubled up on responsibilities for him.

"Hol'up y'all."

Stoping his band, he jumped down from the stage, he went after Mackenzie after seeing her storm off.

"Beanie?" He called looking for her. "Damn her lah ass quick." He laughed. "Mack?" He called again.

Hearing her voice, this time more annoyed and loud, he followed the sound which led him to her. Pacing back and forth as she argued, he stood there observing, till she was off.

"What's going on Beanie."

"The cake people screwed up the order for Sky's cake for tomorrow." She sighed.

"How bad?"

"They did the wrong design and the wrong cake flavoring. I don't know how when I sent a photo of what I wanted the flavor of the cake."

"Calm down Beanie." He rubbed her shoulders. "They gonna fix it, and we gonna have a great weekend in Florid celebrating her birthday and engagement with family."

Smiling, she loved how August always knew the right thing to say just to bring her back to that calm space she needed.

"I got a question though."

"What's that?" She asked as they walked back to the hall.

"You think ya momma and daddy gonna be fine with being in the same place as each other? This gonna be the first time they seeing one another since God alone knows when and after what you told him."

"Believe me, I've thought about that. I hope they behave."

"Me too."

"I was thinking that maybe my sisters could be on the road with us for some of the days, seeing as how they are on school break."

"Ion see anything wrong with that. It's bout time they start enjoying life." He side hugged her.

Getting back to rehearsals, August and his band along with his dancers, did what they did best. Mackenzie looked on while fiddling with her engagement ring as she smiled.

Though they've been engaged for a week, she loved that no one aside from his mother and her father knew, or so she thought.

"So y'all ain't gonna say shit huh?"

Looking up, she was greeted by Terrence as he sat next to her.

"About?"

"Mack we all been seen that rock on your hand sis." He laughed.

Looking at it, she smiled.

"It's not that we're hiding it, we're just focused on work. We were gonna announce it this weekend."

"For Sky's birthday?"

"Her birthday is tomorrow, we're making the announcement on Sunday at brunch."

"Aight well forget I said anything." He chuckled.

"Okay." She laughed. "But does everyone really know."

"Basically, Yeah."

Sighing but not in a bad way, she just accepted it. Hearing August announce the end of rehearsals, she approached him and began to tell him what Terrence had said.

As they spoke, both their attentions were caught by a sound coming from the speakers behind them. Putting their attention on the stage, they laughed as his band played 'Here comes the bride' while his dancers walked out, two holding bouquets and one holding a gift.