34

"August. Now we know your girlfriend."

"Fiancée." He corrected them calmly.

"Fiancée. My apologies. We know she is still recovering physically so we don't want to make this longer than it should be."

"Understandable." He nodded.

"Now. The suspect in custody."

"Criminal." He corrected again. "She identified him as her attacker. He isn't a suspect."

"That is true." The officer nodded. "However, the person we have in custody has awaken and has identified you as his attacker."

"Really? Hmmm."

"Now we are not accusing you, we just want to get down to the bottom of this."

"Mhmm. Let me ask you something."

"Sure."

Clasping his hands on the table, August leaned in slightly.

"You have a wife or daughters?"

"I do."

"If someone they know attacked them and he was then attacked, who you think they will assume first?"

"Me."

"Why?"

"Because human nature, one would assume I would be seeking revenge."

"Exactly."

"So did you?"

"If I did, who would take care of my girl while I'm in jail?" August asked. "She need me physically, why would I jeopardize that."

"Alright. Well where were you two nights before she was released?"

"At the studio then I went to my home before going to the hospital."

"Can anybody vouch for that?"

"Yes. The security where I record, my producer, my father in law, my girl's sisters and best friend who stayed at my place and everyone on duty that night at the hospital." He shrugged.

"Okay. Why would he name you as his attacker then?"

"Because he know I hate him. I've threatened him many times for coming at Mackenzie and he thinks that once he is alive, if I'm not around he can still come at her."

"Hmm."

"Are we done here? I need to go home to my girl."

"Yes sir we are. I will however need you to stay put till further notice."

"Ion plan on going anywhea man."

Standing up from the desk, August and the officer shook hands before they escorted him out. Arranging with an officer, they transported him back home, August had already knew this was going to happen at some point. Walking up to the front door, August used his key and unlocked it. Resetting the alarm, he locked up before walking to the kitchen

Seeing Mackenzie laying on the couch asleep, he gently placed the blanket they keep on the couch over her. Getting a drink of water, he went upstairs, got out his clothes and made his way back down and joined her.

"Mmm, Bookie?"

"Yeah baybeh, gon back ta sleep, we staying down hea."

Sitting up, she watched as he made himself comfortable on the floor by the couch she was on. Not wanting to lay alone, she took the blanket and joined him.

"Beanie, ya need the softness of tha cushion."

"I need my Bookie." She simply answered.

Not bothering to fight her on it, he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer to him.