36

"Ya sure they said ya can come taday?"

"For the last time, yes they did."

Releasing a sigh, Mackenzie was growing frustrated by Augusts' constant redundant questions. On their way to the university, he was going to sign off on some forms. Once she had heard back from her advisor, they were both relieved that he still had time to start his bachelors in psychology.

"Ya gon help me with this degree though?"

"What kind of question is that?" She looked at him crazy.

"A yes or no one." He shrugged.

"Just for being a smart ass, no."

"I'm not surprised." He shrugged. "You seem like the type ta throw ya child in a pool fa them ta learn to swim." He joked with a straight face.

"Once you know." She answered sarcastically.

Side eyeing her, he didn't respond. Since she woke up Mackenzie was in a mood. All day August was trying to figure out what was the cause of it but she didn't say.

Pulling back up on campus, August found a park. Shutting off the engine, he kept the doors locked as he turned to her.

"What's going on with you?"

"What?"

"You heard me ma, what's really going on. All morning ya been acting outta pocket fa some reason."

"Nothing is wrong with me Aug."

"I never asked what was wrong with you, I asked what's going on." He smirked.

Not finding his play on her words amusing, Mackenzie rolled her eyes as she looked away from him.

"Something is bothering you and I would like to know what it is. From the moment you woke up this mornin you've been in a mood. You've never been this moody before so I'm tryna understand what's going on all while being patient with you but ya making it hard for me to be."

"I'm not making anything hard for you. You assume something is going on when I keep telling you otherwise. If I say that there is nothing then just take my word on it. Jeez." She huffed.

"Take ya word on it?" He nodded his head. "Aight. I'a take ya word on it. Just know, Ion wanna hear no shit about anything then." He said getting out of his Range.

Slamming the car door, August walked off leaving Mackenzie sitting there. Rolling her eyes, she just sat there and waited rather than getting out as well.

Reclining her seat back, Mackenzie made herself as comfortable as she could be. As she laid there with her eyes closed, when the sound of her phone ringing caused her to groan.

"Hey Lissa, what's up?"

"Just checking on my best friend. How you been doing?"

"Good I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yeah. I woke up this morning so that's good."

"True."

"How you doing?"

"Good. You'll be seeing me this weekend, minus Ava."

"Awe, why?"

"I have a job interview out there and I just want to be in a relaxed frame of mind."

"Ouu." Mackenzie perked up.

Now sitting back up, she listened as Melissa explained to her about the receptionist position at a doctor's office that she was interviewing for.

"But you know I wouldn't have mind looking after my goddaughter."