37

"So you think you got it?"

"I pray I do." Melissa sighed. "It's paying better than my current job plus benefits."

"I believe you got it."

"I don't know. There were a lot of other people there to be interviewed but I'm trying to stay positive."

"Well that's good."

Sitting on the floor in the living room, Melissa and Mackenzie conversed about the interview she had yesterday. Being in Atlanta without her daughter, as much as they both missed her, it gave them both a chance to catch up and relax.

"How have you been feeling though?"

"Fine I guess."

"I don't like how that sounds Mack."

"I'm fine Lissa. It's just being home is a bit of a bore for me now."

"That I believe when it comes to you." Melissa chuckled. "Aug's birthday is this coming Monday right? Have you planned anything for it?"

"He said he doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Even though I'm here and moving around better, he's still a bit skeptical."

"Are you giving him a reason to be?" She asked with a raised brow.

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"I mean. He always senses when something is wrong with you. Is there?"

"No." Mackenzie answered blatantly.

"You know you can talk to me about anything right?"

"I know Melissa. But like I said, I'm fine."

"Alright. I still say you should plan something for him, even if it's home here."

"I'll think about."

Taking a drink of her water, Mackenzie's phone began to ring. Seeing an unfamiliar number, she answered it a bit hesitantly.

"Hello Mackenzie Carter?"

"Speaking."

Introducing herself as the senior personnel of her study department, Mackenzie was then congratulated as she learned that not only was she graduating with top honors but has been selected to do the valedictory speech.

"Oh wow. Thank you."

"You're most welcome. A follow up email will be sent during the next couple days with all the needed information."

Saying their goodbyes, Mackenzie smiled as she stared at her phone screen.

"I take it that was good news." Melissa laughed.

"I'm graduating top of my class."

"Awe. Congrats babe." They hugged.

"Thank you." Mackenzie smiled then exhaled.

Though she had known before had that she was possibly going to get it, Mackenzie was still happy and appreciative of this accomplishment for the second time.

"Weren't you the Valedictorian for your bachelors?"

"Yeah."

"Ouuu. My good sis on her intelligent shit." Melissa danced.

"You're a mess." Mackenzie laughed.

"We gotta celebrate."

"We don't have to."