66

"So everything is good with her and my grand baby?"

Standing in the kitchen of his mother's home, August had told her about what had happened the night before.

"Yeah. We just gotta monitor her pressure and make sure she gets rest."

Placing the plate of food in front of him, he thanked her before blessing it then eating. After arriving in Houston, while the others went to the hotel, they came straight to his mother's home.

"Bookie?"

Putting their attention on the doorway, Mackenzie came walking in. Sitting next to him with her iPad in hand, August shook his head.

"You suppose to be sleeping Beanie."

"I couldn't. I've been thinking about the baby's room." She expressed. "I came across this." She showed him the furniture set. "What do you think?"

"It's aight." He shrugged.

"But you barely looked at it." She fretted.

Sighing, not wanting any argument, August took it from her and looked at it better.

"What do you think?"

"It's nice."

"Nice enough to order it now?" She looked at him with a smile.

"Nice enough as an option."

"An option to what? Babe we've barely talked about this and now that it's getting closer I don't want her to get here and we are prepared."

"But we are though Mack. She gonna be in our room anyway."

"In what? We don't have a crib yet."

"And we'll get it and everything else when we get back in two weeks."

"So why can't we just order it?"

"Because I don't want to."

"Whatever."

Walking off mumbling, August didn't let it get to him. Going back to his food, he tried to ignore his mother staring at him.

"Say what you wanna say momma."

"Why you being difficult?"

"I'm not."

"So why not just order the furniture? When y'all get back you can pick it up or have it delivered."

"Because I already got shit organized." He looked at her. "You think I'm not gonna be prepared for my first child? I just wanna surprise my wife at the same time."

"Oh. Hmmm."

"Yeah. So if she gonna be in her feelings from now till we get home, oh well." August shrugged.

"You're a mess." Sheila shook her head.

"Nah. She should know better."

"That's true but remember, she's thinking about the baby and being ready. She thinking with a mommy brain not your wife, who knows you like to surprise her brain."

"You're right." August sighed. "I'm still not going to tell her shit." He shrugged then chuckled.

Finished with his meal, he washed up then went up to Mackenzie. Laying in bed, rubbing her bump, she sang lightly.

"Any room for papa bear?" August smirked.

Not saying anything she simply moved around, making space for him.

"Beanie? Don't be like this."

Humming rather than singing, she turned onto her side.

"Fine. If you wanna be in your feelings for no reason then be that way but keep in mind, that shitty attitude transfers onto our daughta'. So I suggest yuh cut that shit."