Prologue

She couldn't breathe, she couldn't think straight, she couldn't move.

She could only sit there and stare at the mess in front of her. The woman's face of horror— eyes wide, jaw slack, and the handle of the kitchen knife sticking out of her stomach— would haunt her and her sister for ages while the man was another case. He sat pinned to the wall with a circular shaped hole smaller than a dime in his forehead, the result of one crisp bullet firing out of the barrel of the pistol sitting in front of the nine year old. His eyes were closed but the yellow irises were still underneath the tan eyelids of his. He was past the Gone. They don't know what the Gone is.

"I-I-" the little girl stutters, her voice shaking as she stares at the two bodies not more than ten feet away, "I killed him." She finally turns her head to look at her older sister who's standing there with a stunned expression overwhelming her features. "I killed him," she repeats, a whimper getting caught in her throat. She looks at the eleven year old expectantly, waiting for her to do something to fix it all. The older girl extends a tan arm down to her younger sister, her eyes never moving from the bodies in front of them. When the younger girl wraps her fingers around the hand of the older one, she's pulled up from her position on the cold ground.

"It's okay, sis." The older girl says in a surprisingly calm voice, almost as if the fear that's paralyzing her younger sister isn't clawing deeply within her gut. But it is. "It's going to be fine."

"I killed him."

"Rev," her sister says, "we're going to leave."

"We can't, B." Rev objects, her eyes wide with terror. "We have to-"

"I want you to go outside, wait in the yard. I'll be there in just a minute." B orders her younger sister. Ushering the nine-year-old further with no other words, she waits until Rev is out of the house before she gets to work. Mind and heart racing alike, she braves herself for the future of her and her little sister and begins to search the house for backpacks. Packing one extra outfit and a jacket in each bag, B puts only necessities that they would absolutely need. She finds a second pistol in the bedroom drawer and puts that along side the first one in her own backpack, making sure the safety was on for both weapons. B shakes her head to psyche herself up for the role she's dreading having to take over. No one will be there to watch over the two little girls anymore, which means that they have to do it themselves. B wish it didn't have to come down to that, but in the end, it boiled down to it with the way the world was being corrupted. B's about to leave the large bedroom when her eyes spy something on the vanity, next to perfumes of sweet scents and facial creams. B hesitantly picks up the glass bottle filled with a dark brown liquid that she didn't know of. A label on the bottle intrigues her deeply as she reads the printed lettering. "Adrenaline." She mumbles under her breath. B pushes the bottle into her backpack and is surprised to find a stash of the same liquid in a briefcase next to where the bottle was placed; she is confused about what it was before she catches an information slip.

Adrenaline was a hormone that was only created by the adrenal glands- it now exists in powders, it now exists in liquids, it now exists in pills. You are now an adrenaline junkie.

Side effects:
-Memory loss
-nausea
-lack of emotions (ie. fear)
-numbness to the world
-bursts of strength

B takes in a deep breath before she shoves the paper into the pocket of her jeans, shaking her head before shoving a few more bottles into her bag along with two sealed packs of syringes.

It could make them forget.