Chapter 49: I Can't Make You Stay

|| First Person || Bomb Sunshine ||

"Patrick, wait!" I call out as I chase him. Patrick doesn't turn to me; he continues to walk. I pick up speed and grab onto his arm, stopping him.

"I didn't mean it like that—"
"You're right," he repeats. His voice wavers just the slightest. I can't tell if I can point it out because I know Patrick like the back of my hand or because we are the only ones outside.

"Patrick, please—"
"You're right, Bomb," Patrick says again. The Defender finally turns to me, his blue eyes finding their way to meet my brown eyes. I open my mouth to say something— anything— but words can't form in my mind. Patrick gives me a sad scoff. "You can't even say anything about it! You can't say anything because it's true! It's all true!"
"Hey, sweetie, calm down," I say gently. I rest my hands on either side of his face and trace patterns on his cheeks in an attempt to soothe him. I peck his lips gently and run my fingers through his hair.

"What I said doesn't apply to you," I whisper. "Let's go inside, okay?"
"No," Patrick says firmly. He steps away from me and bites down on his lip. The blonde shakes his head and his eyes widen in fear.

"N-No, I-I can't," he croaks. Patrick looks behind him, nothing approaching from the horizon. I start to worry, hoping he hasn't turned against us like Acid Torrent did.
"Patrick, what's wrong?" I ask. I take his hand in mine, my fingers fitting beside his. His blue eyes lock back to me again. I cautiously near him, but Patrick stumbles back.

"You've been acting strange since after Joan was born," I mention. Patrick has been distant and easily frightened since we came back from the clinic. I thought he would have eventually opened up to me, but he never did. It only progressed.

"Elaine, just go back inside," Patrick begs. "Rev needs you. So does Joan. Go back inside."
"Patrick just tell me what's wrong," I say, my voice above a whisper.
"Elaine, just stop!" he almost yells. I flinch at his sudden outburst. Patrick studies me for a minute, then tears his gaze from me with a heavy sigh.

"What's the matter?" I mumble. Patrick grips at his hair, then lets his hand drop to his side. He's fidgety and anxious and I want to calm him down, but I know he won't let me with the many failed attempts.

"Bomb, there's something I need to tell you," Patrick says. His voice wavers and his attention is fixated on his worn combat boots. I can tell it's not good once he tosses his head back, avoiding eye contact with me.

We stand in the dirt for a moment, silence between us. I can tell Patrick is having a hard time telling me what he wants to say. He paces a little as he runs his hand through his hair with a shaky sigh. He stops in front of me and gazes into my eyes. I notice that the yellow is trying to take over his irises. He caresses my cheek, pushing my hair away from my face, before he hesitates to shrink back. He winces at the growing headache that's probably occurring in his temple.

"Bomb, I-I—"
"Just say it," I whisper into his hand, holding it in place. He purses his lips and shakes his head. He rests his forehead against mine and I realize how broken and seedy his breaths are.

"I-I can't just... say it," he stammers. "It's not that easy."
"Then, maybe you shouldn't say it," I smirk before kissing him. I want to lighten the mood, to not see Patrick being tortured by whatever is clouding his mind. I rest my forehead against his again, closing my eyes at the warmth of his palm.

"I have to," his voice croaks. I look up at him and see his blue eyes holding swollen tears. I push his bangs away from his forehead, running my fingers through the piece of blonde hair. Patrick closes his eyes and exhales shakily, tears slipping down his face.