Wounded- Chapter Six

Edited:

cover credits: xaharau

Published: July 17 2015 Friday 12:19 a.m

I know a lot of people's Eid have started already, and although mine hasn't yet, I wanted to give you guys the best gift I can.

EID MUBARAK!!!!!!

Ayah:

July 4th

         "Thank you so much for coming," Carmyn smiled at me as she carried a tray of food to one of the diner booths. Everyone is in a rush to have everything out by eleven, which only gives them about an hour and a half. This morning hasn't been the best for me. After last nights soda binge, I felt utterly sick to my stomach from all the caffeine. Yes, I had to be the unlucky person who gets sick sometimes from caffeine.

        On top of other things, I had to bake the last tray of cookies to take to the park, but I couldn't do anything without getting fresh air. It was like I needed to get out of the house this morning. I felt suffocated in there, so I went to the lake. I was there for a good hour before Camryn called for help with the diner. Debby went to pick up an emergency shipment of supplies, the chef was already granted time off for his family, and Dianne has had a slight cold as of last night. The whole diner has been left in the hands of Camryn. She can run it as good as Dianne, don't get me wrong, but today seems so much more hectic.

         "I wouldn't have called if it wasn't an emergency, but I really need help. I thought I could do it as good as mom--flawless, but I was wrong."

        "Okay," I nodded and started to send a text to Jamila telling her that I would meet her at the park in a few hours, to which she replies saying that she will help Mama in my place.

        "What did you need help with?"

        Camryn pointed to the kitchen. "The sandwiches need to be decorated and cut, the portable soda machine is to go to the center of town and I have to pay the lighting bill or the diner will have a blackout. And--"

      "Calm down," I stressed and placed my hands on her shoulder to steady her breathing. "We can do all that in plenty of time, but since the electric company is closed for the holiday, just take it to the managers house. Leave the food up to me and hurry back."

      "Thank you so much, Ayah," Camryn exhaled in relief and hugged me before dissapearing out of the door. As soon as she left, I put my phone down and moved to the kitchen. How hard can sandwiches be?

-*-

Jamila:

       "Here's the last of 'em," I announced to Aunt Amaya and placed the hot cookies on the counter. Now I wouldn't go as far to say that I belong in the kitchen, but those cookies look magnificent. How I managed to not burn down Ayah's house is a miracle.

      "They smell wonderful," Aunt Amaya smiled from where she stood over the cookies to take a whiff. "And they don't look stale like you said they would."

        I smiled sheepishly and grabbed the dirty pans to put in the sink. "I don't exactly cook at home, Ummi is overprotective of her kitchen."

       "Don't you want to get married?" She asked me making me blush.

        I shook my head and hid under her deep gaze.

      "How come?"

      "I'm only seventeen," I chuckled and began to scrub some of the last bits of the dough off. "I want to at least start college before I take the next step."