Wounded- Chapter Seven

Edited

cover credits: xaharau

Published: Sunday July 19 2015 7:35 p.m

Ayah:

July 4th

          I don't know what to say or do. Here I am standing in front of my husband who I haven't seen in ten months and I don't know what to say. I know I'm happy, but I'm also angry about the fact that he never told me of his arrival. I always thought that when he would come back I would have a whole dinner set up, decorations everywhere to welcome him home. But no. He decided to surprise me yet again but only thinking of himself.

         Yes the suprising part was thoughtful of him, but that's not what I wanted. I don't want to be suprsied! I want to know that he's coming before he's here. No one gets it. I guess they thought that I would want something romantic for when he came back--something like this. But I don't. I wanted him all along, but those butterflies I always hear about haven't come; the ones that make you realize how deeply in love you are with that person. But the truth is that we aren't the same anymore.

         He doesn't even know me anymore. I don't know how many times I tell people I don't like suprises, but they don't listen. From the start, our whole relationship had been conceived on suprises. Granted I liked some of them a while ago, but I was younger and watched too many sappy romantic movies. I like to think I've grown up since then, which is why I'm not going to take the easy route and run away.

        I've been doing that for far too long. I'm not going to act like the happiest girl in the world, because I'm not. I'm going to take the high road and act like an adult.

        "When did you get back?" I asked, showing just enough emotion for him not to question my calmness.

         Jafar's smile faltered as he cleared his voice, no doubt disappointed that I didn't welcome him with open arms.

         "Uh, I got back last night. How've you been, Ayah?"

        I shrugged and tried keeping my half-smile on my face. "I've been fine. You?"

       "Can you guys ask real heart to heart questions before I cramp up?"

       We stopped our sad excuse of a conversation to glare at Jamila, she rolled her eyes and stood up.

       "Fine, fine, I'm going. But remember I have videos to confirm you were both tedious during your reunion."

       "Jamila!"

       "I'm going, Jafar. And give her the flowers before they die of boredom."

       As soon as she left, I turned back to Jafar, smiling slightly.

         "She's something," I commented.

        Jafar smiled at my slightly happy mood and moved forward with the flowers.

       "These are for you, obviously."

       Chuckling lightly, I took the flowers from his hand and smiled. Red roses. These are the flowers he gave me on our wedding night.

        "Do you like them?" He asked hopefully and rocked back and fourth. I nodded and lifted them up to sniff. "Suprisingly Jamila picked them out. She said you'll like them."

       My mood faltered as I stared at him. I guess it was wishful thinking to assume he got them because he remembered what flowers he gave me over a year ago.