Wounded- Chapter Forty Four

Edited:

I'm back! It's been way too long since I've written on this story, and I may be a little rusty. But, nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

Published: Friday, Febuary 5th 2016, 5:21 pm

Ayah:

          I opened the door outside to reveal Jafar skipping rocks in the street with a couple of kids no older than Mina. The sight of them laughing and playing around warmed my heart, especially since the past few months have made it hard for Jafar to let his lips curve upwards. Even when I asked him about it, he frowned more.

          "Smiling is sunnah and a sign of happiness, but it's just not an option for me right now. Maybe someday."

          That answer saddened me down to my core, because we've both been through a lot, but he's had to deal with it all. He deserves to smile. Seeing me sat down on the porch watching him, he handed the little boy the rock and joined me.

          "Everything okay in there?"

         "Mhm," I nodded with a smile, my eyes still on the playing children. They look so happy and content with life, like they haven't experienced the obstacles of growing up. I only wish our child feels the same. A little while later I stopped my observation to look towards Jafar, who was staring intently down at his phone. "Is everything okay?"

          "I hope so," Is all he said as he put his phone back in his pocket. I didn't get to press the subject, because by that time, Jamila came out.
-*-

          I took the glass of juice Annie extended to me and brought it to my lips to drink. She did the same to Jamila and sat down slowly and let out a breath as she smiled at us weakly. Since we arrived, I've noticed how calm she is and how tired she looks. I know it's not from working because Safeer already stated that he doesn't let his wife do anything anymore besides rest, something both he and Jafar have in common. I can even tell by the way he was helping her that something was wrong, I guess it's a motherly instinct. I just hope I'm wrong.

          "It's been too long since you've visited. How are things?"

          "Everything's good," I assured her, looking around her home admirably. Ever since the first time I came here, I've liked the setup and the colors of their home. "What about you," I turned back to see her trying to keep her head up. She looks exhausted. "Are you okay?"

          She lifted her head up and offered me a weak nod. "Yeah. I'm just tired."

         I exchanged a worried glance with Jamila to see she wasn't buying that Annie was okay either.

          "I hope my cousin isn't working you too hard."

         "He's actually been the one making me rest. When he leaves for work, I don't have anything to do but listen to my brother and sisters problems. Troubles of being the oldest."

        "I wish I knew what you meant," I said softly, and she looked up and nodded in agreement. Growing up was okay with just Mama and I, but like any other only child, I've always wanted a sibling. I guess that's why Jamila and I are so close. She is the younger sister I didn't get until later on in life. "But I do know about being forced to rest. Jafar hates it when I try to do anything close to strenuous. But I've never heard you talk about your family. How are they?"