Wounded- Chapter Twenty Six

Edited:

Published: Wednesday, October 21st 2015 3:03 p.m

Ayah:

"So, you're leaving?"

"Yeah," I nodded and continued to pack my suitcase. After Jafar and I talked in the park, he walked me home so he could prepare for his meeting. I wasn't feeling well enough to go to a meeting, so I decided to come back to the apartment to rest. But just going to sleep didn't work. And for the last half hour, I've been packing my clothes and talking to Jamila. Ever since Iffah left the other day, she's just around the house doing random things. Last night I caught her drawing in a coloring book out of bordem. It's definitely time to get her back home.

"I just don't understand why, Ayah. I thought you liked it here."

I nodded in understanding and sat down on the bed beside her. To most people it seems stupid for me to give what I have up, but what I really want, and have been wanting for months, is to be with my husband and family in the town I've loved since I've been in this world.

Getting a taste of being here was worth it. Knowing that there is another world waiting for me has eased my mind. But that's all it did. It didn't change what I wanted. Mama has always asked me to do what I want, not what has been thrown at me. To do something I can be proud of. Finally stopping the childish games and doing what I want is exactly that.

"Jamie, it's been absolutely mind opening to be here and explore options. You know, just a temporary thing until I got what I've wanted for...forever really."

"Is Jafar pressuring you to leave?" She asked. I didn't even frown at her much anticipated question. Let's be serious for a second. Everyone who has known what I've gone through with Jafar is thinking the same thing. That I let him break me and then win me back with his charms. But it is not true. In fact, it's far from the truth. I've known what I needed for a while. I just never thought I would get it.

"Ayah, I know you love him, but you want this."

"I did want this. Years ago I've wanted this. But not now, Jamie. I know what I want."

She smiled at me. A smile that told me that she understood, but did she really? Unless you've been through what I have, felt what I have felt in my heart and soul and known what to do, then you don't understand.

Jamila placed her hand in mine reassuringly, and that's when I knew she understood. Like I've said before: Jamila has been the shoulder to lean on for years. She has her moments, but she knows.

"Is there a spot for me?"

I let out a laugh and nodded. "Always."

-*-

Jafar:

"Time?"

The men sat around me nodded. This was not what I expected. From the time I stepped inside this office for our meeting, they've gone over every possible scenario to this whole issue, none of which sounded appealing. Except one:

Move here and record. But the earliest that you can is a few months.

Go to our studio in London for the next year and a half.

Quit for good.

Do whatever you want in the span of time that it would take for the air to clear with your...break. That one was their best offer. And I have to agree with them.