Wounded- Chapter Thirty One

Edited:

Published: Monday, November 9th 2015 10:45 am

Ayah:

"Here you go," Abu Jafar handed me a glass of lemonade, picking his up, before taking a seat beside me. I smiled at him gratefully, taking a sip and looking out into the neighborhood. "Today is a hot one, isn't it?"

"Indeed it is," I agreed, keeping my gaze on the horizon in front of me. Despite it being late in the year, Riverside has a slight breeze, but it's mostly warm. People in other states are preparing for winter, but because this town is a couple minutes from the beach, it's always a warm or hot day.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

"Jafar," I said, placing my glass on the table beside me, looking up at my father in law. "And you, of course. How have you been lately?"

"Touch and go, but I'm stable...for now. But, anyways, what's up with my son?"

"You," I bluntly said, to which he raised his eyebrows.

"Me?"

"Yes," I nodded. "Your relationship with each other, and trying to bring himself to forgive you. I'm not here to blame, just to help."

"I see. So I'm guessing Jafar doesn't know you're here?"

I shook my head, bringing my hand up to wipe a bead of sweat off of my forehead. Today is a hot day.

"Ayah, I have made unforgivable choices, but I've also moved on. I will always love my children, and I was going to speak to them eventually about what's going on so I can make my will, but I don't plan on messing up the lives they have right now. They're happy with their families, have new parents, and are doing fine without me. I'd like to keep it that way."

"I don't think you should," I voiced, and he let out a deep sigh.

"And why not?"

"Because you're not sure you should either. Heck, you know you shouldn't. Even if not seeing them is for you, make it about them. Put your differences aside and heal what had been wounded before its forever broken and shattered into pieces."

"You're wise woman, but no. Me interfering will just mess up their lives more than I already have. When I'm gone..."

"Don't talk like that," I told him softly. "Insha Allah you'll be fine."

He ignored me. "When I'm gone, I'll be out of their hair. That's how it's going to go. Period."

I pursed my lips and stood up, taking a piece of paper out of my purse. "Here," I handed it to him and he frowned.

"What's this?"

"Date, time, and a list of all the things Jafar needs for his birthday. You're at the top of the list. But if you do decide to stop whatever it is that's holding you back from seeing your kids aside--they'll all be at the party. Please consider."

I was already down the porch, making my way back to Um Jafar's house when he called me back.

"You never told me. What do you want this meeting so badly?"

"Well, one you were a good friend of my fathers. And two?" I smiled slightly. "I want my child to know its grandfather."

-*-
Jafar:
October 1st

"Jafar, can I talk to you for a minute?" I was just heading out of the gym from practice, getting ready to meet up with Ayah at my parents house when Wasim came over. He didn't look good. His eyes are red with bags under them, and his face is pale.