Wounded- Chapter Forty One

Edited:

Published: Tuesday, January 5th 2016 4:27 pm

Ayah:
November 10th

          "I can't believe that you convinced me to come tonight."

         "Cheer up," I said, throwing a piece of popcorn at a sulking Jamila. "It's Jafar's first game. We have to come and show support."

        "It's not like he's playing. Besides, they win like every game. What's different about today?"

        With a sigh, I relaxed on the bleachers and waited for the game to start. It felt so weird being in this gym again. The last game I saw was Jafar's in this very gym, but that was ten years ago. I never had a reason to go since then, so I just didn't. But now that we're here, it felt like I was in high school again.

           "He's here,"Jamila deadpanned, staring at the lower bleachers. When my eyes caught on to her sight, I furrowed my eyebrows. I didn't see anyone I recognized.

          "Who?"

         Ignoring me, she continued to glare at the people below us. "I don't know why I thought he wouldn't be here. I mean, it is his high school."

         I took one last look at the group, letting the recognition hit me. Mu'adh. Or as Jamila calls him, the one who shall remain nameless.

         "I don't care though," She continued, bringing me out of my thoughts. "I just want to watch the game," She took a hard bite out of her sour straws. "Really."

         "Then how about we focus on the game instead of him?" I suggested, and she turned to me, cheeks red from the sourness, and a hard look on her face. "Just a suggestion."

        "Fine," She swallowed and turned back around just in time for the buzzer to go off. "I'm not even going to look at him."

        "You shouldn't in the first place," I reminded her, but I was just talking to myself. She wasn't listening to a word I was saying.

        "Look, the games starting. Let's focus," She snuck one more look at him, to quickly turn her head back to the court. "Alright, I'm done. Let's focus."

        Rolling my eyes at my young sisters dramatics, I popped a couple pieces of popcorn in my mouth and looked around the gym, catching Jafar's eyes and returning his smile and wave . Ever since that day at the lake, I've noticed a change in him. He occasionally checks up on different members of his family, but he's not doing as much as usual. He still claims to be doing something related to his father and brother, but other than that, I've noticed that he's been avoiding the drama. But I've also noticed that he's been quieter, and I can't help but think it's because of what I asked of him.

          "Jamila, hey!"

       We both turned into the direction of the voice, and I smiled at the new arrival.

       "Alia!" Jamila exclaimed through gritted teeth, welcoming her friend with open arms. Literally. She shared a hug for a good couple of minutes, until someone asked them to stop blocking the view.

       "Why was the last time I saw you so long ago?! I thought we were friends!"

        "I've had a lot going on," Jamila said apologetically, eating another sour straw. "What about you? Are you ever going to have your henna party?"