Chapter One

"Where are you now?" I heard my mother's soft, posh voice ask from the other end of the line. I leaned back into the soft seats of the limo, trying to sound enthusiastic as I drove into Gotham City.
"I'm on the bridge now, mother. I'll be there in about ten minutes. You don't have to keep texting me." I replied, sipping the bottle of water I bought at the airport.

I was dreading my return to the city of crime and filth. My father made it out to be a better Metropolis when it really wasn't. I would know. It's exactly where I was coming from. As mayor of Gotham City, you can assume that my father wasn't exactly delighted that I was spending a week of interning in Metropolis, practically his rival city.

"Good. We're very excited to see you, dear."

"Sure you are." I replied, ending the call.

After Batman and Superman fought against each other, things have been pretty calm. Metropolis has been fully restored, Batman was retired until Superman came along so he continues to keep Gotham's streets safe. But even crime has been at an all time low for a while now. My mother was probably planning on getting more investments put into the asylum soon for the city being so safe recently.

One thing she didn't understand was that you don't get a little treat just because your city is safe, that should be a priority.

Maybe coming back to Gotham wouldn't be so dreadful after all.

Wrong. As if on cue, there was a violent screech and in an instant my body jerked to the side of the limo. It all happened too sudden for me to even feel the fear that grew inside of me. My heart had stopped and my vision went blurry as the car spun out of control. Then there was a crash and I didn't feel the car spinning out of control.

All I felt was my stomach twisting and through the windshield all the way in the front, all I saw was water. I felt the fear all at once and once we hit the water, my body flew forward and then, I felt nothing.

15 Minutes Before Accident

"Nice of you to show up. Did you bring donuts?" Officer Gordon teased, his feet kicked up on the desk, a newspaper blocking his view of the Batman who entered his office.

"I've got a voicemail from Joker. Looks like these crime free days are over because he's playing a damn game." Bruce said, his voice irregular with the suit on. The newspaper was down on the desk and Gordon leaned forward, almost forgetting what it was like to be in these dangerous situations. Both of them knew very well how dangerous Joker can be.

"Let me hear it." Gordon said, swallowing past the lump in his throat.

Batman handed him the Iphone and Gordon played the voicemail.

"Hello, Batsy." the sinister voice said. "Gotham's been quiet just a little too long and I thought, why not stir up a little chaos. There's a car going over the bridge at exactly eleven a.m. There's a few presents sitting in the trunk and do a little thing called boom. Have fun figuring out which car it is and which side it's coming from!" The call ended with the infamous laugh and Gordon let out a heavy sigh.

"If we shut down the bridges, who's to say the car won't explode while being stopped?" said Gordon, looking distressed as he ran a hand through his hair.

"I'll handle it." Batman said, turning around.

"If you'll handle it then why the hell did you come here?" the officer snapped.

"Next time Joker gives me a call, I'll keep it to myself and handle it. I'll leave you to figure out why there's hostages or explosives somewhere in the city." Bruce replied, heading straight to the bridge.