Chapter Thirty Two

The smoke filled the air and while it was easy to still breathe it was difficult to see. I didn't fully understand why this was going on but I was able to stand. I watched orange jumpsuits run in and out of clear patches in the smoke while some of them nearly hit me. I shut my eyes and listened, trying to calm down even though my body ached and my hands shook. I'll walk straight until I hit a wall. I took careful steps but quick because I wanted to get away before the smoke cleared. I heard the footsteps of other inmates and stopped when I knew they'd be close to me.
I held my breath for the most part and the smoke started thinning and I assumed I was close to the edge of the courtyard. With my hands out, all I could see was white clouds in front of me but soon, the brick became visible and my hands were against it. I let out the breath I held in and looked to my sides. Above me, I could hear the catwalk rattle with footsteps in the distance. I didn't even care who saw me because I just wanted to get out of here.
The path wasn't all that far above me but there's no way I could reach it. I was stuck down here.
"Sophia!" Eric said, running into my vision. I was confused more than I was before. "Grab my hand. I'll pull you up." I nodded and took a few steps back to get a running start to my jump. He leaned over the railing and extended his two hands. When I ran and jumped up, his hands pulled me up, of course with a severe struggle, and I swung my legs onto any surface I could. But in the end I pretty much pulled myself up.

"What's going on?" I asked.
"I don't know. Erica and I were watching the security camera to observe your behavior with the others and then Bane snapped. By the time I got down here the smoke appeared." he replied, his hands on my shoulders. I took a deep breath. In the back of my mind I was hoping this was my escape. I should have never even hoped for the impossible.

"I'm sorry." I sighed. I just wanted to go back to my cell. If that was my only option, I'd take it. I didn't want to a around these people.

"Shh, Sophia. We'll get you into a better cell. Just calm down and get out of here." Eric said. I knew just by the look on his face he didn't want to be helping me. But he was and I was grateful. Three guards walked by and Eric stopped them.
"Take her to the new cell outside the Intensive Care ward. She's the new patient. She's supposed to be there and make sure she gets a new jumpsuit." Eric ordered them. The three took me but I looked back at Eric who seemed miserable.

"Thank you." I said.

The three of them silently lead me back into another end of the building I haven't seen. This was probably the original side with the brick walls and concrete floors with dim lighting. Half of this side was under construction. But this hallway lead to the lobby I think. Or the loading deck in the back where some patients are brought in and all the supplies for them. For some reason I didn't have a good feeling.

"This isn't the way to the Intensive care ward." I said.

"I know." The voice behind the mask said. It was raspy. Maybe it was because of the mask but I could of swore it reminded me of the Joker. My heart ached for him.
"Then where are you taking me?" I demanded. I defiantly stopped moving. I was just abused by the other patients and I wasn't in the mood to be treated the same by guards. They stopped in front of me and only one turned around.
"Start the van, boys." he said, as he moved his hands up to his head. Oh my god. The second the pale skin was revealed, I immediately knew. My heart was struck and I smiled at the sight of those red lips and the blue eyes but nothing drove me crazier than his green hair.
I was shaken at the sight of him and I was almost paralyzed, wondering if this was even happening. He stood there, breathing like he had just gone so long without air in that helmet that he dropped by his side. But he regained himself and I watched him turn back into that sinister man he was with the cocky smile and that gaze that even looked like he was plotting.