Chapter Nineteen

One Week Later

With a handful of applications, I sat in Joker's hotel room at the kitchen counter. My mother has requested that I at least take a semester of medical school right here in Gotham. But honestly, I was going to attend medical school in Metropolis next fall. I already sent my application in. This was just to make her happy. 
My eyes lifted from the paper as I tried to remember my social security number and I heard Joker enter the door. I wasn't expecting to hear it slam though. 

"How the hell did you get in here?" he asked, walking in with his two guys in suits trailing behind him. I nodded towards them. They deserved a lot of respect for putting up with the Joker. Especially when he was in his moods. 
"You gave me a room key, remember?" I said, my tone falling flat. The way he walked with his shoulders hunched over and his fists clenched... Joker was in a bad mood. Even his eyes seemed darker. 
I watched him kick the empty glass bottles off the glass coffee table and jumped as they shattered. 
"What's wrong, pumpkin?" I asked, trying to give him my best smile as I looked at him. But he couldn't even look at me. A whole tore open in my chest and I felt as if I had done something wrong. 
Joker spat out curses as he viciously kicked the table and beat his fists into the couch. I sighed heavily and returned to my applications for med schools in Gotham and just the same area in general. It took me about half on hour to finish two of the applications and I still had two left. But in that time, Joker shot things across the room and continued to break everything. I had enough of it. As I planned on what to say, I watched him walking towards me but not paying attention to me.
"Listen, I'm gonna leave. I have to get home. Plus, I've only seen Kayla once a week and I think it's a good idea to go to the gym--" 
"You leaving me?" he interrupted, picking up the applications. He sounded mad and my heart sunk to my stomach.
"I'm just filling them out so it looks like I'm putting an effort into my parents desires." I shrugged. "I'm leaving. You need to calm down." I was a little too forward but at least I was honest.
I shoved the papers in my bag and walked around the counter. But as I passed the Joker, his white hand wrapped tightly around my arm and he yanked me back.
"You're not going anywhere, pumpkin." he grunted, his voice dark and growl even stronger than usual.
I was petrified for a few seconds as I stared into those angry blue eyes. But I wouldn't let the Joker control me like this.
I pulled my arm out of his tight grip and stared right back in his eyes.
"I'm not Harley. You can't just order me around like a dog." I snapped.
"Don't say her name!" Joker yelled, shoving me back into the counter where the corner pierced my back. I winced in pain and barely had time to prepare for his next move has he grabbed me and shoved me again. I stumbled to towards the oven and sink and stood up straight as soon as I can. I wasn't gonna break. The Joker could do this to me all day and I'd still look at him straight in the eye. I watched him come towards me and in the back of my mind, I thought to myself that I almost wanted him to do it again.  But my eyes quickly averted to the sink where I spotted a knife. Just as he came as close as a yard away, I snatched it up and pointed it at his chest. 
"Ah ah ah, not an inch closer." I laughed. I easily turned this into a game knowing damn well Joker could turn it into a murder scene. 
I had easily tamed the beast who didn't look the slightest bit pleased at my defense. 
"I'm gonna leave." I said, pushing the blade so that the point gently sat on the top layer of his skin. "And you're gonna call me when your little temper tantrum is over." I leaned forward and kept the blade at a safe distance as I kissed his cheek. 

I left the room, almost wanting to do that again. 

--

My plans later in the early afternoon changed and I found myself doing a little food shopping in the city's biggest market that I loved with Eric by my side. I had offered to invite him over for dinner before my dad flew out to D.C. again. My mother would be sleeping since she had a full schedule of meetings tomorrow. 
The crowded market was a little busier than usual today so getting through with a cart was difficult.