Chapter Thirty Seven

December 20, 2016

I slipped into the dress shortly after noon, allowing time for a hair stylist and make up artist to work on me for three hours before the party. I sat in a comfortable chair in my room before my own vanity with the light bulbs around my mirror glowing bright. My hair was pulled into an updo with two braids at the side that tied into a loose, curly bun in the back. My make up was done flawlessly with a nude pallet for eyeshadow and lips done a few shades darker than my auburn hair with a milky brown chocolate color.

The entire time I sat in the chair butterflies flew through my stomach and a slight wave nausea flowed through my body. My mother and sister were in the room as well and talking to them slightly comforted my anxiety. But when they reminded me of the press and the hotel's "red carpet", I couldn't exactly think clearly when I was so worried about the cameras.
With my father approaching on his last year in office, I realized this would be the last time I'd get all this attention. But these previous 8 years at this Gala have been gradually becoming worse and worse. This year would be the icing on the cake.

Once equipped with my gray wristlet, I stood from the chair in my three inch heels and took a deep breath. I thanked the two women who helped me get this beautiful and looked at my mother and sister. My mother was wearing a navy blue dress that fit her well and flowed slightly below her waist. It had a deep v-cut in the front and her blonde hair was poker straight. Olivia wore a maroon dress that was similar to my moms in length except it was one sleeved and had a large diamond clip at the shoulder and the little diamonds clustered around it dispersed as they spread across her chest.

"Well we all look beautiful." said my mother as the three of us moved near each other. I smiled, nodding my head.
"I'm ready for cocktails and snack trays." I shrugged, getting a laugh from my mother.
"I'll just stick to the snack tray." Olivia sighed.
"Alright, let's go. But tonight isn't going to be taken lightly, girls. Your father is on the verge of giving this city the cleanse it needs. We really need to just hope it all works out. If it doesn't, we're going to have a lot of angry criminals running though the city." 
The cheerful mood was gone. The heavy weight of tonight sunk in. I felt my chest stiffen and I realized, this night can go both ways and I had hope for the good way but the ladder seemed to feel more likely.

As we headed out of my room, I made a rash decision in my head.

"Uh, I'll meet you guys in the limo!"

With that, I turned around and grabbed a small duffle bag from Victoria's Secret. Underneath this dress I already wore jeggings. So I shoved my thigh high boots in the bag along with a long sleeved black top and my red pea coat. I had a black wig for curly or straight hair and tonight, I went with curly.
My father told me to stay out of his business so if I couldn't help direct this mission from the office, maybe Princess can handle it on the streets.

---

The party kicked off with guests being dropped off at the hotel's entrance in their fancy cars and limos. As we pulled up to the carpet, cameras were already pointed in our direction and a news reporter stood at the door. The journalists shut out their other guests and already were yelling questions the second the door opened.

My mother went to the news reporter and my brother and sister were taking pictures on one side and I was faced with the other. Behind three security guards, a dozen cameras flashed and people had their phones out and recording.

"What's going on with your father back at City Hall? Is the city going to go on lockdown?" Someone asked.

"My father's business is none of my concern. I'm not the mayor nor an elected official of the city so I won't take any other questions regarding this city's wellbeing." I sternly commented.