Chapter Thirty Six

Today was the day before Gotham would either go big or go home. But instead of home, go into a complete and utter chaos. 
My headache still lingered but my mother kept her word and picked me up from the hospital in the morning after I was cleared. Meeting Joker last night left me some closure and I was no longer on the verge of a mental breakdown it seemed. 

"So, did Olivia tell you?" my mother asked as we sat in the back of a limo. I almost forgot that I was the only one who rarely used the personal drivers anymore in my family. 
"About dad?" I asked, sipping my water as I sunk into the heated seats. My mother faintly nodded and sighed.

"I can't imagine how confusing these past few years have been for you and I hate having to change everything so often but--"
"Do it." I interrupted, smiling warmly at her. "Dad took all of this way too far. I know you guys assume the worst about me but I'm fine. This city has pushed as all away from it and even got you shot. I hate to say this but if we have to leave without him, I think we'll all be a lot more healthier out of this city."
My mother was taken back a little but at the same time, she had to have known, right? 
"I expected that." she said shyly, looking down at her lap. I was worried for a second that she wouldn't take my word for any of this. But then her lips curved into a light smile and I returned the gesture. 
"Well no matter what, we're family and we just have a habit of doing what we think is right for the rest of us..." I trailed off, trying to finish the sentence. But I was a little caught up on how I wouldn't make this about me. I thought making my dad go insane with his inability to control this city would bring him back to us but obviously, that can't be said. "You know what I mean."

That was the realest conversation I've had with my mom since I was sixteen telling her I had sex for the first time and she was too drunk to even remember that one. Then again, I don't blame her for needing a few drinks to aid that news sinking in. By the time I got home, I was already feeling a little better now that I had fresh air and clear head. My father wanted me to meet with him today to discuss tomorrow. Regardless of our relationship, he simply told me I was the next best leader next to my mom. 

I had to dress professional. But professional today would merely be my black blanks and two inch heeled ankle boots. My white blouse and red blazer was covered by a tan pea coat and I wore a thick red scarf and black gloves. The winter weather was usually brutal in Gotham. I took advantage of the personal driver and threw my hair into an unprofessional messy bun in the limo. 

I scrolled through Twitter and Instagram on the way, looking through the pictures of friends old and new but none of which I had talked to since the summer. But the occasional like of a tweet or picture kept the friendships alive. I smiled as I opened up a few emails from internship buddies back in Metropolis. A few of them I responded to, saying I was going back to Harvard for my graduate and that I'd most likely find a job up there. But even when I pressed send I wondered where my life would actually be by the time January rolled around. I exhaled slowly, leaning back into the chair. Things felt like they were back to the way they were.
The attention to my phone, the personal driver, the outfit... It felt normal to me. 
Where did the time go? My own thoughts were weighing me down and I hated how my moods fluctuated like this. I was happy and sad and then randomly feeling homicidal and crazy. No wonder I haven't heard anything from Kayla or Eric. 

As I pulled up to City Hall, I left my thoughts in there and simply concluded that I was going to need a fresh start one way or another. 

I walked up the across the stone and cement then up the marble stairs towards the columns of City Hall. I remember watching the explosions inside from these steps months ago then decorating it with paint and all sorts of decorations even as I entered the building with Joker. But I also recalled my mother's body laying here by the tree when we only wanted one normal night together. I took a deep breath and forced my attention on what was in front of me. Being the mayor's daughter came with plenty of polite smiles as people passed me so instead of dwelling, I embraced the attention I received and made my way to my father's office. 

I knocked and the head of dark hair popped up from the messy desk. It was only noon and his sleeves were rolled up and his tie was already starting to loosen up. 

"Hey, hun. Sit down." my father pleasantly greeted. What was up with my parents being so friendly? I didn't realize how much someone can change after one event. My smile faltered as I realized how dumb I was for even thinking that. Of all people I would know! 

"Hey, what did you need me for today?" I asked.

My father looked around the office and mainly just seemed to check if no one was paying attention, then looked back at me with his hands folded on the desk.

"Tomorrow night is the Gala at the Hotel on Rivington. It's not too far from here but it's sectioned off from the sanctions Deadshot and Quinn have been running and is kind of in the middle." my father informed. I nodded. I remember the map of the sanctions he showed me and I never got an exact location, I only had the vicinity I was told to avoid and who ran them. 

"I'd much rather help out here and run the operation instead of stay at that party." I chuckled. I also wanted to keep eyes on what was going on so that I could make sure everything was going according to plan in case I needed to give the Joker a call. 

My father smiled and took a deep breath. 
"Well, you can't, Sophia. It's too dangerous. If anything goes wrong, City Hall will not be the safest place at all." 
I shrugged. "So if something does go wrong, what's going to happen?"
"Everyone at the Gala is there in support of this, funding the facilities for these psychos so nothing can happen to them. But as for you, your mother, and Luke and Olivia, you guys can take the helicopter out of Gotham to the nearest airport and get out of here. The people at the gala will take the underground route which will lead them to the FBI's slew of vehicles to transport them away." he explained. I nodded. 

"Okay, now back to the plan." I said. 
"Right." my dad agreed. "The sanctions will be meeting at their set location and there's a gas we'll use to, well, not euthanize them, but knock them out." The thought of gasses worried me and I tilted my head. "Where did you guys come up with that?" I asked. My dad shook his head and I was still curious. 

"At seven, everyone from the gala will be watching what we're watching here and if everything goes according to plan, we'll have almost every criminal in Gotham by the end of the night." my dad exhaled as if he had just worked up a sweat trying to explain this plan. But it was simple. I'd basically sit there looking pretty while this whole thing goes down.

"Okay. Sounds like a plan." I said, nodding again.

I remembered what Joker told me and I knew that if he even found out I was involved in this, he'd be really upset. But he wasn't here so what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

The Next Morning

"Sophia!"

Luke's voice barged through my ear drums and I winced slightly as I woke up and immediately adjusted to the light of the sun coming into my room. 
I sat up in my thick mess of pillows and blanket, looking around in confusion for a moment. It took a few seconds to realize Luke was just coming into my room now and I sighed, wiping my face with my hands. 

I also realized today was the dreadful day of the cover up party. That's basically what it was. I yawned and watched Luke carry what looked like a dress covered by a long, white plastic bag and a hanger. He hung it up at the hooks next to my closet. I was slightly disoriented at the moment and the random dress didn't help. 

"Did my concussion make me lose my memory of ordering a dress?" I asked, sliding off the covers and walking towards my brother who just shrugged.  I lifted up the plastic, my hand grazing the soft black fabric. When I reached the top, the halter neck top piece of the dress was black with a lace chest and a jeweled border to it as well. I was slightly taken back, admiring the beauty as I wondered where it even came from. Maybe it was the wrong order?

I looked at the tag sticking from the dress and turned it over to see handwriting.

"You'll look stunning tonight pumpkin. --J."

A huge grin immediately spread across my lips and I stared at the note before admiring the dress again. 

"Uhh..." 

I looked over at Luke and immediately pulled the plastic cover down.
"Right, I did order this. My concussion really made me forget." I chuckled. 
Luke nodded slowly and chuckled too. 

"Just don't go crazy on us, okay?"

That was ironic.

"Don't worry about it." I replied, watching him leave the room. If only he knew.

SORRY ITS A FILLER CHAPTER