Chapter Three

It didn't even take a full twenty four hours for me to turn into a paranoid mess. I couldn't drive in my brother's car without expecting a car to crash into us and I couldn't go out in public without the fear of Joker lurking near by. I should have stayed home all day like I did yesterday. I was practically going insane! 

Luke and I returned to the apartment where it was merely slightly easier to breathe. But with every aching pulse in my head, I was reminded that I escaped death because of the Joker who also plans to meet again when I'd much rather not. 

I headed straight to my room, stripping down and unwinding in a nice and warm bath. The warm water released the tension in muscles and I took a deep breath, letting the ends of my red hair darken as it floated in the water around my shoulders. With my eyes shut, I listened to the news on the TV playing in front and above the bathtub. 

My father had us move from our beautiful townhouse and into this luxury apartment at the top of the city once he became the mayor. It was two floors and very large. The walls were mostly glass and revealed Gotham and it's delightful features. Who doesn't love the city packed with skyscrapers and dirty streets? Better yet, let's not forget the smog that pollutes the city during hot summer nights. As I laid back in the tub filled with lavender scented bubbles, I tried to convince myself that I was still in Metropolis.

Sure, Batman and Superman left a little mess but it was nothing compared to the destruction that happened when Superman first made an appearance. But the city was so bright, clean and while we were all technologically advanced like most big cities, Metropolis was just a better place and I knew I wasn't the only one in the family to see it.

"And we're back from the short break with breaking news that'll have the citizens of Gotham City sleeping better at night. The Joker was seen being brought into Arkham Asylum--" 

My eyes flashed open and I sat up straighter now, my heart skidding to a halt. I thought I was hearing things considering that I was going insane after all but then I read the headline on the TV and knew it was true. Or was it too good to be true? 

Oh well, I didn't care. As long as he was in Arkham, I truly could sleep at night. 

A smile spread across my face and I relaxed in the tub once more, mentally releasing the tension and fear that's been coursing through my body since that night in the hospital. No more Joker. It sounded crazy that I could finally say he wasn't going to be a problem.

But now I could focus and pretend that nothing ever happened. I was back in Gotham and things may have gotten off to a rough start but I was willing to pretend I'm just coming today and forget about the past two days. 

After a half an hour of watching TV, I shut it off, dipped my head underwater to fully soak my hair, and properly washed myself before getting out of the tub. I slipped on the fluffy robe and practically skipped out of the room and into my own. 

I slipped on a pair of denim shorts and a loose, white tank top while my hair still sat wrapped in a towel. Behind the curtains that covered my glass wall, shielding my eyes from Gotham, I saw the sun set on this muggy city. It was muggy but it was safe with the Joker in Arkham and while I despised this dreadful place, I could return and settle in easier now that I can sleep.

I smiled, inhaling the fresh scent in my room (that was nothing compared to the air outside these walls) and quickly blow dried my hair before dinner.

My long and red mane was tamed once I put some cream in it and I headed out to the kitchen, my red curls bouncing with each step. My hair wasn't straight up orange, it was like a dark, burnt orange. In the summer it was light but people often considered me brunette with a hint of red or vise versa.