Chapter Two

I started panicking. When I panic, my chest rises and falls rapidly and tears sprung to my eyes. But as I backed away from the Joker, one arm pressed down on my chest and the other hand clamped over my mouth. 

I was definitely going to die. This was the Joker we're talking about here; the most ruthless and cold hearted man alive! There's no way I'm making it out of this hospital room and right now, I genuinely felt fear. 

"Don't scream or I will kill you." the Joker stated, his blue eyes piercing into mine. I nodded, squeezing my eye shut as I tried to force my tears away. Okay, maybe he was being serious about the not killing me part. Honestly, I was too scared to scream. When he pulled his hand away, I let out a shaky breath and bit my lip to keep myself from crying.

"Why are you here? Do you want money or your face on TV or something?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly. After all, Joker hasn't made an appearance since before Batman fought Superman. Crime has been pretty quiet lately. 

"I'll consider it." the Joker teased, his read lips curving into a smirk. The growl to his tone made my heart shrivel in my chest and I wanted to forget his voice after this. "But I just thought I'd stop by and let ya know that I got ya from the water earlier."

Given these circumstances, I knew it'd be very bad to laugh. But a small chuckle passed through my lips and I shook my head. The Joker? Saving someone? This had to be a joke. I mean, the word joke was in his name. When I saw a frown upon those red lips, I immediately went silent and feared for the worst.

"You're serious?" I asked, genuinely surprised.

"Serious as I'll ever be, Little Miss Gotham." Joker replied, shutting his eyes as he forced a pleasant smile on his lips. But it faded as quick as it appeared and I tilted my head slightly.

"You wouldn't have saved me for no reason. One, how? Two, why?" I demanded. While he may be the Joker, the most dangerous criminal out there, I wasn't making myself look weak more than I already did.

"Easy. I'm sure you know how to dive into water, open your eyes, and I'm even more positive ya know how to locate a limo in the water." Joker shrugged. "And why? Why not?" I couldn't hold back a scoff and I knew that this was all too good to be true. Of course he saved me for a reason and I wanted to find out. But at the same time, there was boundries and if I crossed them I could consider myself dead.

"Yeah, why not?" I agreed, earning a confused look from him. "Why not save the mayor's daughter out of the kindness of my heart? Sorry, not buying it." The Joker sighed, his hand jerking out to my throat and I tensed, feeling the fear seep back into my bones. 

(Go to 0:08 of the video of Jared Leto c:) "Shut the fuck up." the Joker said, his words coming out slow and in that same growl, tilting his head slightly tightened his hold on my throat. My back was to the wall and my heart beat rapidly but even though I could breathe, I was so stunned that I forgot to. 

"You're lucky my times running out." he frowned. "This won't be the last time you see me, little miss Gotham." 

With that, his hand released my throat and I let out the air I held in for so long. The Joker left.

I didn't sleep that night. 

After being cleared to leave the hospital, I gladly left with my brother Luke. I understood that Olivia and her friends were spending a night at the college campus they'd attend next month so she couldn't have picked me up. But yesterday morning, my mother left for her business meeting in Hong Kong (because that's more important than me, right?) and my father was at his office all day.