Chapter Twenty One

Uber was my only friend right now. At least my driver wouldn't question why I needed to be picked up in this area with a passed out friend of mine. I really really hoped Eric wouldn't wake up in the middle of the drive because who knows how he'd react when everything hit him. 
It was  a twenty five minute drive to Eric's apartment which I luckily found the address to on his phone. 
I could barely make conversation with the driver. My stomach was twisting into knots. My heart was aching. My throat was too tight to make words. So many thoughts were running through my head. I was completely, utterly, lost. 

Eric's apartment was between a soap shop and vintage clothes shop. It was a little green door on a tiny street on the nicer side of Gotham that was closer to the outskirts. It was a sunny afternoon at this point and everything seemed calm. Even a nice breeze blew through the trees. Luckily, he woke up as we pulled around the corner. Eric's eyes widened and I went straight into panic mode. 

"Shh, we're getting dropped off at your house. I'll explain everything in a minute." I said, smiling reassuringly. Eric's blue eyes were confused and hurt. It hurt my own heart just to see that. 
I quickly thanked the driver and hurried out of the car. But Eric was still a little numb to his legs I guess and I found it necessary to help him to his door. 
Eric was quiet as I helped him up three narrow sets of stairs. This made me a little uneasy but when we finally made it through the final door and the last set of steps, I was greeted by his cute little apartment. It was narrow with a high ceiling. Sand colored walls with navy blue cushions on the wooden furniture. There was a couch and a chair and big, big TV. When I made a left around the staircase, there was another set of wooden stairs leading to another floor and a bookcase underneath. The bathroom was in a room between his living room and his kitchen which was small but stocked with stuff that looked healthy. I assumed to the two white doors were his room.

"I love this place." I said, watching him walk to the fridge and get some water. But he was silent.
"Sophia, you need to tell me everything." 

The weight of his words sunk into my chest and everything caved in. Maybe being honest would give me a little more clarity. I looked into Eric's eyes for a moment. 
"Last time I trusted someone, I ended up wanting to do unthinkable things to myself because they broke that trust." I said, crossing my arms. "I don't know what to do, Eric."

Those words said out loud caused my entire world to shatter but I still managed to hold back tears. With a sigh of defeat, Eric stepped closer to me as he put his bottle down and wrapped his arms around me. They were slightly bigger muscles than Joker's and he was a little more warmer. Not to mention he was a little more broad. But it was just the comfort I needed right now. Taking a deep breath, I pushed myself back.

"I think we need to sit down and talk about this." I sighed.

We sat on his couch and I made sure to sit a few feet away from him. I wasn't sure how he'd react. 

"When I came from Metropolis in August, I was driven off the bridge. But I was saved and everything was fine." I began. Eric nodded. "But that's when everything started actually." I saw Eric's confusion and I knew this was about to get bad. 
"It was all staged by the Joker. He gave Batman the heads up on a car setting off explosives on the bridge all to get me in a life or death situation. But when Joker saved me, he paid me a visit that night and said that I'd owe him one now. I was in his debt because he saved my life. Avoiding him didn't work because that day I was assisting my mother on a tour of the Asylum, he broke out. You know that one lab for the patients that you don't use unless absolutely necessary?" Eric's face sunk and I could see how he felt sympathetic. I shook my head. "Joker took me in there and tortured me. I believed that he was the key to everything I always wanted: to destroy my father's city."
I went into detail about how Joker gave me every opportunity to release all my anger and frustration towards my father by blowing up everything he put before me. I told him how I knew about my father's plan to get rid of Gotham's villains, including myself, and why I had to kill someone for the first time in my life. I even told him that I loved every second of it and loved the Joker for a little bit too. 
"But what happened today made me realize that I'm worth nothing. Not even as a notorious villain in my own city." I said, trying to laugh. But tears were slowly rolling down my cheeks as I spoke. "I had my fun and now it's over." My words played out slowly in my head as if they were still processing. What would I do after this? I sorted through all my options but only came to two. I looked up at Eric.

"I'm Princess Gotham. Well, at least I was." I shrugged. "But you can't tell anyone. I trusted you and I can promise you that I won't be putting on that outfit ever again. I'll leave my fate up to the one person who I know will do the right thing." I felt a lump in my throat as it tightened. My decision would either be dying with dignity or living with all the shame and guilt that's built up. 

"What are you talking about, Sophia?" Eric asked. "You can trust me. I won't tell anyone."

I sighed and knew by the look in his eyes that everything had changed.
"But now you know who I am and what I've done. None of that can ever be unseen. Every danger you've been put in has only been because of me. I know that nothing is going to be the same. No matter what you say, everyone will know the truth and everyone will think I'm a monster and wish I was dead." 

"Sophia, you didn't choose for any of this to happen. I can't blame you for everything you've done." 

"How can I know that you're even telling the truth?" 

I felt nothing at this point. I had nothing. What could he possibly say to make me feel anything anymore?

"Come with me to Metropolis. You go to med school and I'll go work at a lab or something. We can get away from this city and you can start fresh." Eric said with genuine hope in his eyes. "I know that's what you've always wanted. Not destroying a city but just getting away from it." I took a deep breath and knew I wanted to. But there was something I had to do first.

"That means the world to me, Eric. But I have to do something first."

-

The cold wind blew strongly at this high up in the city. I wore a thick winter coat and scarf and hat. My nose was burning from the cold and my eyes teared up a bit. But as I stood beside the bright light aiming into the sky, I had to look at my phone and text someone. That's if he still had the same number.

"I don't know if you still even have my number or if your number has changed. But you don't have to worry about me anymore. I'll leave my fate up to Batman. I'll be gone for good."
I pressed send and took a deep breath.
"I never got to tell you this but I love you pumpkin."

I locked my screen and put my phone in the pocket. I turned and looked up in the sky at the bright light with the clouds blowing through. But there was one thing I was sure of and it was the outline of that bat. The sound of a whipping cape caught my attention and I turned around.

"Sophia? What are you doing up here?" Bruce questioned, walking closer to me. I felt nothing but the cold and wouldn't hesitate coming out with the truth.

"I'm Princess Gotham and I'm leaving it up to you on what's gonna happen with me." I said, loud and clear.

But even through that dark mask of his I could see the shock written all over his face.

Don't worry this isn't the end. I might find time to update again tonight! You'll love the next chapter.