Chapter Forty Four

I couldn't process anything.

I could only stare,

"3...2...1" 

The pure fear seeped into my bones faster than the cold and my breath caught in my throat.

"Happy New Year!" 

There was a split second of silence and in that time everything hit me all at once. 
Cheers erupted from above and below, causing my ears to ring. I braced myself for whatever would come next. All of this took a second. 
But as I expected, the sound of shattering glass pulsed through the air and I felt the wave the explosion from behind me gave off. I expected this to happen and turned around, not phased at the sight of the broken ball that sat there in flames. My heart was pounding and I could only stare as the others cleared the deck and ran. But as everyone ran inside, I was horrified and couldn't move.

It was him. He came back and I almost didn't want him to. 

I couldn't explain how to feel as the cold air whipped around me and the New Year's Ball looked like one large flame now. 

Then, another rumble was heard from below and I felt my legs wobble at the unsteady ground. Looking back, the balcony began to crack and break off in pieces. Gasping, I was shot with adrenaline and leaped forward only to come crashing into someone else that I latched onto, my eyes still locked on the deck was now nonexistent and Times Square below took it's place. 

"Hello, Princess."

My head whipped around and I was standing in the arms of my pale faced, green haired psycho with red lips that were pulled back in a smile then sent a shudder down my spine. He looked so pleased with himself and I wasn't sure if I was scared or not.

"What did you do?" was all I could ask, my eyes wide with panic. 

Joker then gave me a confused look as if he genuinely didn't understand what was wrong.

"No New Year's kiss? Just a question? That's all you can say?" he asked, his voice deepening to a growl.

But then I realized that part of me that was glad to see him had diminished to the size of a pulp and I looked over his shoulder. The entire penthouse had cleared out, now only filled with his guards and the furniture. Maybe not everyone left. But for the most part, I had believed that my family and Eric left and it fueled me with such a rage. I looked back at Joker and had a change of heart. My chest now felt lighter and I felt like my mind was going in so many different directions.

I was happy he was here. I wanted him to take me away now. 

"Come here." I murmured, my hands moving around his neck and I stood up on my toes to press my lips to his in a passionate rush which he returned. Joker's arms wrapped around me and pulled me as close as he could and it was the first time I ever felt so wanted by him in a genuine way. "There's your New Year's kiss." 

Drawing back, I looked up at him, the lights from the city and the fire from above trapping me with him, right here on this balcony. It seemed perfect.

"Ready to bring hell on this city with me, doll?" Joker asked, still holding me in my arms.

"That's a big question." I said, pondering the choices I could make in this very moment. It hurt my head to think of all the possibilities. 

"I'm not proposing. What's the big deal? I'm asking you start your year off as Miss Gotham and I'll be right by your side." he asked, a mischievous grin on his lips. 

If I said yes, I'd risk everything. But that's all this ever was: one big risk. 
I had the entire city and more on the streets below and just about every police and SWAT team member patrolling it. God knew where my family was. But I had an audience and this would be my biggest show.