Chapter Thirty Three

I took a deep breath, standing before the little city home tightly packed between other homes on one of the nicest streets in Gotham. Piles of snow were pushed to the curbs and I carefully stepped on the layer of snow that became the new ground on this small street. It crushed under my feet and I looked up at the frozen trees, decorated with snow instead of leaves, before carefully walking up the steps to Kayla's home. 
I texted her and called and to my relief, Eric had explained this entire situation to her. Apparently, Eric knew I was being taken from Arkham and must have given her the heads up. The man hated me but I still sent my thank you text to him. 
I knocked on the white door, looking over at the curtained windows on both sides of the door. In the windows she had her expensive lights from Urban Outfitters. 
I heard the door open and I honestly wasn't prepared for all of this. My heart skidded to a halt and the shame of facing my best friend who knew my darkest secret was showing in my cheeks. 

"Come in." she said. I studied her expression briefly and she looked hurt. I wouldn't blame her. 
I stepped into the home with creme walls and hardwood floors. Her kitchen was on the other side of a little counter with stools and warm lighting. The furniture was mostly big, comfy, and neutral. Her kitchen was made of marble tops and dark brown cabinets that matched the floor. Her stairs had a modern style to them with a book case fitting underneath them like a puzzle piece. 

"So, this is awkward and really weird but I need you to come out and tell me the entire story."  said Kayla, wearing her gray sweatpants and a Harvard t-shirt with a tan cardigan over it. It was still early in the morning but almost noon so I could understand the sleepy look. 
I took a deep breath and sat across from her on the couch. The distance wasn't overlooked and I tried to ignore it.

"You know all the trouble I've had with my dad." I nodded. "When I was returning from my internships in Metropolis, Batman drove me off the bridge because of a tip sent in from the Joker. It's how he planned it so that he could save me and I'd be in his debt all while making his enemy look bad. That's when it all started."

"When, exactly?" she asked. I guess she wanted specifics... 
"My first night in the hospital he visited and when I toured Arkham with my mother a few days after, he broke out and..." I trailed off, thinking back for a moment. All I could remember was the alarms and the blonde woman with the iPhone. "I was in a lab and um..." -- I just couldn't think -- "I was there. I saw him, but I don't think I was with him."
I looked up at Kayla and she was mad.
"What did he do to you, Soph?" she asked. 
"I don't remember!" I said urgently. "I remember we talked. It was that day he convinced me that I had no other choice but to be his girl on the inside and work for him. But he wasn't wrong on appealing to my desires. I hate this city and I hate my father and he gave me the leeway to do whatever I wanted. So I took the opportunity to stay alive because he would have killed me otherwise but I won't lie to you. I enjoy it."

"What did you two do together?" I could see the disgust twisting on her expression but she couldn't very well hide it. I tried to find a reason as to why I shouldn't be mad at her response but I was growing a little irritated. 

"We just had fun. All of the clubs and the long nights in his place were the best. But we had business to do. We had banks under our control and the city at our feet. I could do whatever I wanted to my father and I could still see him crumble as he watches without a clue. It isn't as bad as you might think it is--"
"You are in love and accompanying the most dangerous, murderous, crazy, sociopath in the world and you expect me to just be okay with this?" she interrupted. My heart sunk and I clenched my jaw as I stared right into her upset eyes. She didn't understand. Nobody would but I didn't necessarily need anyone else. 

"I'm not asking for your approval. I'm asking you that you help me ride out these last couple of weeks. I promise this won't be forever, Kayla. I need your help and your word that you won't tell anyone. Eric and Bruce already know and I know I'm walking on glass here but..." I trailed off, looking in my lap as I looked for words to say. I couldn't be mean but I couldn't be walked on.

"But if you want things to go back to the way they were, you can't leave me in the dust because I can go full time with this and everybody will regret it." 

It was a threat but I hoped she knew I would never hurt my family. I wouldn't hurt anybody unless it was called for but never family. 

"Fine." Kayla said, taking a deep breath. This was tense and I knew things would never go back to the way it was whether or not I left with the Joker. But I was relieved to know that I could still go on a little longer playing both sides. "You were my best friend, Sophia. I don't understand why this happened but don't expect me to pretend like this forever. But I'll help you out while I can."

I'll just take what I can get.

--

The hospital was decorated with Christmas decorations and garland and lights bordered every hallway. There was no way of walking through without feeling the anxiety creeping in on me, wondering if everyone who looked at me saw me as Sophia or questioned me as being Princess. I was sure that Joker would have told me if my secret was out or not but then again, I could never be sure who to trust. 
We found my mother's room after going to the third floor and walking down the blue walled hallways and white tiled floors that seemed endless.
I was scared to face my family and my stomach was flipping on the inside as I anticipated every single thing that could happen. But before I could even think of what I'd do when I'd walk in, I already was on my way. 

There sat my frail mother in the clean hospital bed with my father on a chair and my siblings sharing the couch. My words were stuck in my throat and they looked at me with expressions similar to a deer caught in the headlights. I tried to search for any inclination of my expected response but they seemed... pleasant. 

Olivia was the first to spring up and it was almost an instinct to pull my little sister into my arms. I held her tight, grateful for the moment I had right now but I was choked up with tears. I couldn't cry, though. I wasn't in any place to. Luke followed behind her and looked like he had something holding him back.

"Why did you leave?" he asked.

My heart broke and I looked at my worried mother and father, trying to find the words to say.

"I-I was scared..." I admitted, shaking my head. I couldn't think of how I could pull this off. I wanted to break down and tell them how I was dehumanized and pushed to my breaking point in a matter of days but I sucked it up and let the tears give them the false belief that I was just scared when it was so much more than that. 

But nonetheless, I walked over to my mother and she didn't hesitate to let me hug her. She was safe and that's all I wanted. 

I felt like I needed to convince them that I was telling the truth. I couldn't. There was no way I could without giving away some secrets. But I knew I was honest about how grateful I was to know that they were all still here. 

--

Third Person P.O.V

The car the man sat in was parked in a quiet area of the city not inhabited by normal citizens nor criminals. Maybe there were criminals that were hiding but none of them had made an appearance yet. At least not the one he was particularly waiting for.
Music played lowly on the radio and he listened and looked, also while deep in thought of his life. When had it come to this? He wasn't sure. But to him, revenge was sweet and also questioning his morals. 

There was a knock on the window that made him jump. The excess makeup and big smile scared him but he grabbed the file and stepped out of the car into the cold air.

"Are you cold or are you scared? You look like you just saw a ghost!" the woman laughed. 

"I just want to get this over with..." he sighed. At first, he hesitated. But it was obvious he was too late to change his mind. 

If he even thought for a second that he wouldn't give her the patient file then she would have shot him right here in the middle of the street. 

"Thanks, hun!" she smirked. The man instantly regretted his decision as he watched her go through the few pages. Instead of waiting around, he turned around and sat in his car, letting her react to the horrible things she'd find in that file alone.

If he had stuck around, he might have been caught up in her wrath which is something nobody would ever wish on another.

Instead, he'd just have to suffer from his own guilt of the fate he had just brought on someone else he thought he loved.

The last part might be confusing but I hope that was suspenseful enough!