Chapter Forty

December 24, 2016
Sophia's P.O.V

I woke up, feeling an immediate rush of a sickening nausea in the pit of my stomach. I was strangely sitting in the Joker's bed and across from me, Joker sat with his black pants and burgundy button up that was actually only half buttoned. His legs were sprawled out and arms dangling from the armrest but the funniest part was his head uncomfortably hanging back and his mouth slightly hung open.
I couldn't even get his attention let alone laugh because the next time I opened my mouth I felt an unnatural shift in my body and suddenly, the bucket on the nightstand was in my face.
I coughed, letting my body take its own course as my stomach empties itself out in the bin. I was so concentrated on hurrying this up so I could breathe again that I didn't even notice the smell or sickening taste in my mouth.
I coughed and coughed to get the last of it out as the smell sharply pierced my nose. I shoved the bucket away, my body shivering as I wiped my mouth and spit in the napkin I grabbed. I then threw it in the bin and looked over to Joker who now was sitting up and awake in the chair. Chills ran through my body and I could feel my intestines shrivel up.

"Oh, pumpkin..." Joker said, his expression genuinely falling slightly as he walked over towards me.
I looked up at him and he leaned over the bed, one arm supporting him and the other carefully combing through the hair on the side of my head. When his hand reached the back of my head he pulled me closer to kiss my forehead. I looked down at my hands, clenching them together to stop the shaking.

"What happened?" I asked, my mind a little foggy. My entire body wad in a fog. A shaky fog. We argued, we hurt each other and then...
"You had a little trip." Joker said, tilting his head to look at me almost sideways. Then he laughed slightly but I was still slightly confused. His laughter faltered and he sighed, standing up straight and looking down at me.

"You nearly overdosed on amphetamine." Joker stated.

I took a deep breath, feeling lightheaded again. I overdosed? I was sickened to my stomach, emotionally and physically and I took this chance to lay back in the bed and attempt to drive away the chills.
I shut my eyes to avoid the headache and didn't have to see to know it was the Joker who sat behind me.

"Oh, Princess..." Joker side, wrapping his arm around my stomach. I shivered slightly and squeezed my eyes shut. I felt like I was getting a fever that was killing me. I was slightly comforted with my back resting on his chest. His thumb moved back and forth over my stomach and I shuddered slightly.
"Don't you ever scare me like that again."
No matter what the Joker said, there was never a hint of sincerity in his deep, growl like tone of voice. But I felt him hold me just a little tighter in that moment and that's how I knew he meant it.

For the next few hours, we napped and I didn't realize how early it still was until the last time I needed to throw up and it was only nine. Joker had dozed off completely, even when I was practically throwing up my entire stomach.

There was a knock at the door and I looked back at him before cautiously tip toeing on the cold floor to see who it was. On the way, I picked up Joker's little present I bought him and made my way to the door.

"It's Crane." The man behind the door said, knocking one more time.

"Prove it."

"You just overdosed on amphetamine and unless you want to die from malnutrition before Christmas morning, you're buddy called me in to help you out."

I sighed, putting the gun down to open the door. Jonathan Crane with his over the top facial features and over the top business suit attire, entered the room. I shut the door behind him and let him make himself at home and open up his brief case. There were needles and bags and different types of medical equipment. Underneath were labelled vials that I couldn't read.
I sat across from him on the couch, wrapping a blanket around myself.