Chapter Eight

The next morning, I woke up to with a smile on my face and outside, Gotham seemed a little brighter today. The clouds were a pale gray and the buildings looked like silver as they reflected the sky. Yeah, it seemed like it was going to be a shitty day but I was feeling better than ever. 

I slipped into a pair of black running leggings, put on a tank top and threw on my running sneakers. I was in such a great mood that I thought of getting in contact with my best friend who I haven't spoken to since I left for Metropolis three weeks ago. I wanted to work out today and get myself in shape for being the Joker's new accomplice. 

When I walked out into the living room, I saw my dad leaving his office while angrily talking on the phone and my mother sit at the kitchen table with Olivia. Both of them were on their phones, probably keeping up with the news. I walked into the kitchen where the maid was cooking up some breakfast and had our coffee cups set out for the morning.

"Good morning, Ms.Delilah." I greeted, placing my cup under the Keurig and popped a little cup into the top. I earned a strange look from the small, thin woman in her forties. "Good morning, Ms.Thompson. You're quite cheery this morning even with the news." I paused, reaching for the cup filled with French Vanilla. 

"What news?" I asked, filling the cup with a few spoonfuls of sugar. 

My mother and Olivia glanced at me from the kitchen table and I watched Luke enter the room.

"The Joker was seen last night with a new girl." Luke answered. "We thought Harley Quinn died her hair blue but apparently, Joker found someone else. She was going on a rage last night with a gun while she was in Joker's car. It's all over the news!" 

I tensed slightly, the heat radiating the cup not even coming close to phasing me as much as the news did. I knew damn well what the news was but I didn't expect it to be all over the place. With my heartbeat accelerating, I approached the TV in the living room. There was nothing more scary than seeing your own face on TV while everyone was oblivious to it. I immediately regretted last night and my bright mood this morning dwindled. 

"Sorry, but she's kind of hot." Luke shrugged, following me to the living room.

"Gross." I shuddered, wanting to gag. My brother thought I was hot-- no, he thought the Joker's accomplice was hot. We're two very different people...

My dad hung up the phone and finally made his way to the kitchen. 
"Sorry, guys. I'd love to stay for breakfast but my phone is blowing up with calls. People up and down 5th ave are complaining about the broken glass and a bunch of other shit!" my father frowned, sounding very stressed. "That damn Joker needs to go. And his new girl!" 
I hid my grin as I stared at the footage of Joker's red sports car speeding down the streets in the city while I hung out of the car and shot at everything that passed by. Deep down, I wanted to shut the TV off and hide in my room all day. But as Joker said, I should flaunt it and I shall. No one has noticed it was me yet and while it was a nerve wrecking possibility, I was slightly convinced that I had nothing to worry about. 

For the next few weeks, things went the same. I'd spend the night with Joker doing something that ended up in a small part of the city destroyed. It wasn't every night, more like every other night. I choked up several more times when it came to shooting someone who got in our way but I never killed anyone. While Joker threw me or hit me because of my hesitant tendencies, I knew that I'd get over them soon.
We blew up stores, tricked Batman into coming to the rescue when he fell in one of Joker's traps, and there were more nights we drove around in his sports car.
One second, I was on the verge of breaking down and the next I was holding a gun and having the time of my life. I may have sounded insane for being so bipolar but I knew this what I wanted. All it took was some getting used to.