Chapter Twenty Six

A rotting smell lingered and I scrunched my nose up. I was dreaming I think. But the joint pains and soar neck wasn't apart of the dream and suddenly, I was a little more conscious and everything previously had hit me in that second. My neck shot up and I gasped for air, only to cough from the smoke I had just inhaled. Deep in my chest my heart was pounding so strongly I thought it could break through the rope that was currently wrapped around my body.
Laughter filled the air and I knew right away that Two Face was behind all of this.
The object in which my rope was suspended from turned at the sound of a soft humming sound and I was facing him now as he stood on a panel right before the huge bucket of... I don't know what it was. It was green and hot because the heat was coming off so strong I thought I'd burn right here.

"This is great. Now we can have nice little conversation." Two Face half smiled.

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to breathe but the toxins just a little too strong. My chest was aching and I could barely keep my neck up anymore.

"If this is your definition of nice you have some reevaluating to do." I scoffed. "What do you want?"

"How did Gotham's most dangerous villains suddenly escape the highest security prison in the world and why are they holding meetings all across town?" he asked.
"I guess it's not the highest security prison in the world. God, I don't know! Go to a meeting and find out. I don't have time for any of this." I said. Of course I knew. But only Joker and I can be in on this little secret.
"Come on, Sophia, let this be from one villain to another." Two Face said,pulling a little remote from his pocket.

"I'm not a villain. I'm just showing my dad what pushing his family away can do to him. The only way to do that is ruin the one thing he loves more than his family."

"By vandalizing, exploding, and murdering, right? All with the Joker? I'm surprised Harley hasn't killed you yet." Dent laughed. "But come on, this has been going on since August. You don't have to lie anymore. You love what you do."

With the press of a button, the rope jerked a little and I was brought down only a few inches. My nerves were shot and I bent my knees so that I wouldn't be any closer to the bucket and I lifted my chin as if I could get away. But I couldn't.

"Your time is very limited."

"How am I supposed to know why this is all happening? My dad trusts me far less than he can throw me so there's no way he'd let anything slip."
Harvey looked a little impatient now but for some reason, I knew he wouldn't have it in him to let me die.

"But how about I get the information you need." I offered. "The Christmas Tree lighting is in a few days. My parents are going out a little earlier so I'll have time to sneak into his office."
Before he could reply, there was a crushing noise that echoed through the building. It sounded far but it was enough to send Harvey running down the steps to go check it out. I heard the click of a gun and couldn't turn around to see where he was going. But his footsteps were trailing off.

Harvey Dent was an idiot.

I started to sway my body back and forth to try and get onto the edge of the big bucket. I tried to turn my head but. I couldn't see much. Lights were strung around the warehouse with gaping windows but I still couldn't see much. It was like a construction site in here. But as my body started to move, I held my breath, hoping the rope was strong enough to hold my swaying body. My feet were getting closer to the edge and I was eager to get out of here. My mind was working fast and I could only thing strategically right now. Sweat formed on my forehead from the heat of the chemicals and my own stress. But finally my shoes touched the edge and I heard the creaking of the rope above me that made my blood run cold. I stood still and looked around at dim room for any signs of Dent. But nothing. Although I did begin to hear gunshots and more crashing sounds that were getting a little closer.