Chapter Six

The breakfast table was full and of course on the day I started my official, secret job as an accomplice to the Joker. It wasn't necessarily a job, it was more of like a sport. A few days a week you'd spend a couple of hours doing things. But for me, things meant getting some revenge. 

I sat at the table, my posture straight and my mouth stuffed with the homemade French toast sitting on my plate to avoid talking. School started in two weeks for Luke and Olivia while I still have yet to start medical school. But I was taking this year of internships to see if I really wanted to do medical school. 

While I ate my food, I listened to their conversations and patiently waited for anyone to talk to me. I couldn't speak because I was still scared to face my father who was under a lot of stress with half of Arkham out on the streets. But it pleased me to see him get frustrated over his city and that's why I didn't want to speak because I didn't want to risk letting something along those lines slip out. 

"How are you this morning, Sophia? I'm assuming you'll be heading back to Metropolis soon because of the incident yesterday?" my dad asked, causing my grip on my fork to tighten.

"Seriously, why do you always have to act like that towards her?" Luke asked, flashing my father a dirty look. I parted my lips slightly but shut them as Luke stole the spotlight. I knew Luke and Olivia were always on my side. My parents just have yet to witness them follow in my footsteps to Metropolis. "Just because she wants to go to Metropolis doesn't mean she deserves to practically be disowned. Are you going to disown me and Olivia too?"

"Don't speak out at the breakfast table, Luke. We've told you that plenty of times." my mother warned, looking awfully tense this morning.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, mother, just like you. Except some opinions make more sense than others." Olivia added, popping a strawberry in her mouth. I couldn't resist the grin on my lips as I watched my two siblings speak up for me. It was like a nice break from repeating myself.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" my dad scoffed. 

"Of course I am." I shrugged in response, leaning back in my chair. "But if I remember correctly, we were all sitting here having a delightful breakfast until you brought up me heading back to Metropolis." My dad shook his head, standing up from the table and sliding on his blazer. 

"I'm going to work." he frowned, storming out of the apartment, leaving us with a mother who stared us disapprovingly but specifically me. 

"Don't look at me like that." I snapped, shaking my head. I got up from the table and left the room, too angry to even finish eating. I returned to my room, eager for tonight. I knew I was completely messed up in the head at this point if I was looking forward to it now without second guessing myself. I pulled out my phone to see that it was still early in the morning. 

Gotham had lots to offer besides criminals and while the shopping district of the city wasn't the best, it was still something to get my mind off of things for a bit. Maybe I can start buying items for an apartment in Metropolis. I plan on getting out of Gotham by next year no matter how much money it takes. 

I threw on a pair of acid wash skinny jeans with a few rips along with a white tank top and a black blazer. I topped off my outfit with a pair of black heels and sunglasses. Today, I threw my hair up in a ponytail since it'd go up in a wig anyway.

I needed to release this mornings tension and the tension from the past few days by shopping and I didn't care how unsafe the city was at the moment. I felt more confident with the Joker behind my back and I was going to use the fact that I was the Mayor's daughter to my advantage.