Chapter Forty Two

The next morning, I woke up immediately with a smile on my face and then finally, after a long and stressful week my period had come. I think. It wasn't a lot like usual but it still came and there was no need to further stress myself over any unwanted possibilities. 
But it was Christmas morning and I was taking my time in the bathroom to freshen up and get ready to see my family. First, I wanted to have a nice little breakfast with the Joker though. 
As I changed quickly into leggings and a sweater, I stopped and turned sideways to look at myself in the mirror. Google found me a website where people left comments about getting what seemed like their late period and testing negative but missing the next one and then being...the "P" word. 
As I stared, I saw a bump. Joker and I have been doing this for two months now so if I were to be pregnant, I'm sure the bump would be more prominent. However, there was a curve and while my mind started racing to the impossible, I just assumed it was from all of the food and lack of exercising. 

But still, as I finished getting ready, doubt sit uncomfortably in the pit of my stomach. 

-- 

Following my breakfast, I left the Joker to go visit an old friend.

Floyd Lawton was visiting his daughter and after my father cleared me to go visit him during that time, I hurried across the city with one of Joker's men. I had a bag of new clothes and some cute little things for his daughter only since Floyd was limited with what he could have while in Gotham. 

I exited the car and looked around the nice neighborhood, Gotham's strongest security sticking out the most as they stood on the front steps. 
"Good morning." I smiled.
"Merry Christmas, Ms.Thompson. You can go right in." replied the man on the right. I nodded and walked up the steps into the home. It was a little narrow at first but the hardwood floors were nice and shiny and the stairs were at my left. When I turned to my right, I was greeted with a comfortable living room, mostly brown, but full of books on the shelves. There was a table and a nice kitchen all in the same space. The smell of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon lingered even as the two of them sat there and ate. 

Floyd did a double take and his eyes widened as he swallowed his bite of pancakes. I laughed at his surprise and put down the bag. He put down his fork and stood up right away. 
"Hey, Merry Christmas!" he said, pulling me in a hug. Behind me, three guns made a click in preparation to shoot. My mood dwindled as I turned around to face them. "It's fine." I frowned. They slowly lowered their guns and shamefully looked away. "Just caution, Ms.Thompson." one guard said. 

I looked back at him as I picked up the bag. 

"I brought presents." I said. 

"Aw, Sophia. You didn't have to." Floyd mumbled, looking guilty as he glanced back at his daughter.
"Nah, I owe you one. Plus, it's the holidays and I didn't have many friends to look out for anyway." 
"Alright, take a seat." he said, walking over to the kitchen. I walked over to his excited daughter, Zoe, and handed her the bag.

"Thank you so much!" she smiled. As she started to go through it, I was handed a small pancake and a few pieces of bacon. I wasn't all that hungry after my own breakfast but I couldn't resist. 

"Hey, Zoe, why don't you go watch a movie over there for a bit."  said Floyd before he took a seat from across me. I wanted to spill out all of the information I could right now but I couldn't. I had nothing to currently worry about but I felt comfortable enough to just vent to him. Unfortunately, we were under tight security. 

"How are you?" I asked. 

"Better. I can still see her and know she's in safe hands." Floyd shrugged. "And you? You've got yourself in some problems that are really hard to miss. There's a rumor saying you almost had an overdose, Sophia." I looked at him, my heart sinking as far as the pit of my stomach. 
"I'm gonna kill Crane." I sighed.
"This isn't good for you." was all he said, leaning back in his chair.