Chapter Four

All the cells were closed but the patients inside them were pressing up against the door separating them from us. I could see the intimidation in my mother's and her guests eyes as they all curiously looked at us. But my eyes were locked on Joker who didn't move.

"You couldn't stay away, could ya?" he asked, wearing black trousers and purple gloves. Why hadn't they given him a uniform to change in? That wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The first thing that did come to my mind was why he was speaking to me and staring at me. I felt my blood running cold as I stared back at him.

"Just came to flaunt my freedom." I replied, trying to sound perky and obnoxious. But on the inside, I feared that his hand could wrap around my throat again even though I knew he couldn't. "And because my mom wanted me too." I added, mumbling the words under my breath.

"What are doing, Sophia?" my mom asked, forcing a smile as she looked back at me from where her guests stood at the other end of the hallway.

The words got stuck in my throat and my lips parted before I answered,"Oh, uh, I was just curious as to why this one hasn't got a uniform yet." With that, I glanced back at the Joker who gave a petty wave goodbye and I rushed over to my mother as fast as I could in heels.

We walked through a hallway towards the lobby and then up a flight of stairs but I couldn't get the Joker out of my head. I thought it would be enjoying to tease the Joker but in all honesty, I didn't know how I felt right now. I just really wanted to get out of here.

"Oh no, I think I left my phone in the labs." the woman said, checking through her white Michael Kors purse. I sighed heavily and figured that the blonde bimbo would do something stupid. She looked like the kind of girl to have a gold iPhone.

"Sophia, will you please lead Ms.Archibald back down to the labs?" my mom asked. I nodded politely and started walking, not waiting for Ms.Archibald to catch up. Again, I walked down the steps, made a turn down a separate corridor and I lead her to the labs. I'm guessing that most of the workers where on their lunch break because only two or three people were here.

I leaned against one of the tables, with my arms crossed, thinking about how the Joker could have possibly made it back into Arkham anyway. Also, why wasn't he wearing an orange jumpsuit let alone a damn shirt?

Changing the subject of my thoughts, I watched as Ms.Archibald searched the room and finally picked up a gold iPhone. What a surprise.

"Good. Now uh, I guess we should head back now." I said, smiling politely. I took a look around the lab and added,"Also, I'm sorry if my mom seemed a bit uptight today. I know Arkham isn't the most delightful place but I think anyone could see that a facility carrying some of the world's most dangerous criminals might need an update if it wants to say that way."

Blonde bimbo looked slightly taken back and I hoped that I didn't just blow my moms chances, but then she smiled and nodded. "I'll keep that in mind, Sophia."

I hoped that my comment would work and get my mother the funds she needed for the Asylum.

As we started to walk out, I suddenly heard the alarms go off followed by the flashing red lights at the end of the hallways. It came on so sudden that I had to blink to make sure that I wasn't seeing things. But it was all very real and I tried to stay calm, regulating my breathing as I watched the scene unfold before me. The few lab workers in the room completely booked it and while I wanted to do the same, I was smart.

"Don't run." I commanded, grabbing Ms.Archibald's wrist before she could run. "The alarm means there's an intruder in the building or a patient's escaped. We're going to hide, not run. That's very, very stupid.