Chapter Fourteen

I woke up slowly and gradually. I heard nothing and felt a soft surface beneath me. I was almost convinced that I was still in bed. But the smell of fresh paint filled my nose and my eyes opened to face an unfamiliar ceiling that was most certainly not my room. 
I carefully sat up, my thoughts racing and jumping from every memory I had before blacking out as I recognized this as Joker's place. 
The Asylum...the lab...the chemicals...

I had many questions and feared that my stay here would only provoke my mother and Eric and everyone else to keep a closer eye on me. Who randomly disappears after a dangerous chemical is released instead of going to a hospital? Me, apparently. 

A well suited, green haired man entered the room and I opened my mouth to let all the questions flow out.

"Why am I here and what time is it?"
"I need to get back to my family."

"You bringing me here instead of the hospital is going to raise a lot of questions on my part. But you don't have to worry about that, do you? I'm just your scapegoat for when something goes wrong, right?" 

But he looked at me with dead eyes and continued to step closer to me as I sat up on the couch.
The sun was setting over Gotham and a faint glow spread through the room which made him seem less dark and cynical. Well, he's still a little psycho so maybe just lighter and cynical. 

"Well, good job. I got what I needed thanks to you, princess." Joker said, plopping down beside me and kicking his feet up on the table. 

I looked down at my hand and remembered exactly how I was feeling after I was exposed to those chemicals. That nauseating feeling still lingered but nothing was worse than that burning pain in my hand. I looked down and noticed it was wrapped up. I doubt he helped though. I'm sure he sent somebody else to fix me up. 

"Are you fucking serious?" I muttered. I had it. I was almost at my tipping point with the Joker who, by the way, started laughing hysterically. It didn't phase me anymore. Not as psychotic and not as attractive either. I had lost all connection with the lovely memories of feeling on top of the world with him. Now I had faced the true Joker. The one who has no care for anyone else. The laughing was cut short and suddenly, he towered me, standing up once again only to be in my face. His rough hands pushed my shoulders back into the sofa and I stared him right in the eyes. I was too furious to be intimidated. 

"I am putting everything at risk for you: my trust with my family, my future, my sanity... everything!" I snapped, getting so close to his face that even he leaned back.
"Everything I've done with you was all because I got this idea in my head that if I could make you happy, I'd be happy too. I let myself get addicted to hurting other people, physically and emotionally, because of you."

My heart raced and it was all going to come out now. I was so caught up in this moment that I had no regard for the consequence. 
"Now when I put all of that at a greater risk for you once again, I get hurt. I am probably being searched for all across the city right now and that chemical that burnt my hand and caused me to black out is still here somewhere. But all you have to fucking say for it is 'good job'?" I yelled.

Joker looked calm. Not even crazy. Just...human.

"You can't even say anything now?!" I yelled once more, pushing him in the chest. I needed a reaction. I needed to push his buttons. I needed something more but I just couldn't figure out what that was. After staggering over the table, my heart dropped as I watched his hand coming swinging forward to my face.

Silence fell after the hard slap across my face. The air in the room brushed over my lip and I felt the stinging pain of a fresh cut. 

"What do you want, Sophia?" Joker growled in my face as he grasped my neck a little too tight. I wasn't scared. I was confused. His eyes darkened and his tone had never carried so much anger.

"I want you to convince me that I'm making the right choice. I need you to tell me that I'm not crazy." I said, my own voice softening.

 I thought of Eric who had the life he wanted. All he had to do was swallow his pride and leave to do what he wanted to do in life. I could still do the same. But I still felt grounded to the Joker's side with chains forcing me to stay down. I didn't want to feel forced. I wanted to have a choice and know that he'd be okay with it.
But he looked me in the eyes as if he just knew I wasn't finished.
We were silent for a moment.
Did I just crack the Joker? 

"You play too many games, Princess." he mumbled, releasing my neck and beginning to caress my hair. "But crazy looks sexy on you." 

I didn't know how to respond to it. Honestly, it wasn't very convincing. 

"I have one more question..." Joker trailed off, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards him. "Would you die for me?" 
Yes. But I didn't say it. I didn't hesitate to think of my answer however, I hesitated to say it out loud. I've already proved that so instead of waiting, I nodded. "Yes."

"That's too easy." he said, his deep voice trailing off. Joker looked anywhere but my eyes as if he were searching for the next question on the floor. 
"Would you live for me?" 
That threw me off guard but I answered yes as confidently as I could. Would I live for him? Well, yes. "Everything I do is for you already. Of course." I spoke. I stared up into his blue eyes and watched as his silver teeth revealed themselves with that smile of his. 

"Then you have my word." Joker said, his growl fading from his intimidating voice. Joker's white hands slid up to cup my face. "Stay by daddy's side and you'll have everything you want. I'll keep ya safe and this city will be ours to take." 
My heart fluttered and once again, I found the comfort in that monstrous voice that would give a child nightmares. I was convinced that I needed him. I couldn't give up Sophia Thompson yet, but I knew that I could finally accept the crazy. I could accept it all because no matter what the consequence, I would have the Joker. 

I didn't realize it until our lips connected that he was planning on kissing me. But I didn't hesitate to end the gentleness of it. I gripped his silky shirt in my hands and pulled him closer while his own hands grabbed my waist. If we could pull each other any closer, we would but in that moment, I wanted to feel every part of him. Our lips moved against each other and fit like a puzzle piece just as our bodies did. 
"I want you, Sophia." Joker growled into my ear. 
I felt my chest tighten a little and I exhaled, knowing this moment would eventually come. I saw the Joker as my savior. I saw the Joker as the man I'd do anything for. I wanted to make him happy. I wanted to please him because overall, he'd return the favor and continue giving me everything I could ever want.

But it wasn't until he was above me in only his black pants while I wore my basic undergarments that I realized I could possibly want this too. I wanted him. I wanted to see that he was human too. 

I craved the Joker in every way and it was only going to drive me crazier. 

AUTHORS NOTE

Hi to all of my lovely readers. I can't begin to express how much I appreciate the support for this story even after my long break with it.
I understand this all might be getting repetitive but the next chapter will be a time skip to a couple weeks later and I start to reel in the "Suicide Squad" plan and Sophia's character development will probably experience a minor setback. Again. 
But please enjoy!