Chapter Seventeen

Thanksgiving day reminded me that Gotham still had hope. 
Something about taking the time to realize the fresh changing of seasons brought me some piece. The air was less dense and more crisp in the morning and the leaves were darkening. 
I was Sophia at the moment, standing beside my family at the beginning of Gotham's famous parade.
It was also a reminder that my dad had the satisfaction of having his special day.
In a red pea coat that covered my skirt, I stood on a small stage beside my father in taupe ankle boots with a tiny heel to them and sheer black stockings. My mother stood opposite of him with a plaid blanket scarf and a coat similar to me. Eric joined us today. The blonde stood beside me with his neat hair and khakis. His white North Face looked sharp and as did his big blue eyes. Mr.Perfect had nothing on my Joker though. But we stood shoulder to shoulder and I put on yet another good show. Olivia was beside him in leggings and brown riding boots with a navy blue coat like mine. Her hair which darkened with season like mine was down in curls like me as well. Luke was wearing a beanie and north face and unlike my father who had a nice suit on with a coat over, he wore jeans and boots.
While we all dressed differently, there was a similar fake smile plastered on our face as my father spoke. 

"Citizens of Gotham, I welcome you to our 60th Thanksgiving Day Parade!" my father greeted. The street far ahead of us, beyond the line of security guards, was clear. Citizens crowded the sidewalks behind the gates. I smiled for a moment, remembering how this all seemed much bigger to me as a child. The buildings, the line of floats behind me, the crowd... 
Now it all seemed smaller. I had much more power and control and could make everyone cower in fear with the simple change of a hair color. 
The thought of it made me smile to myself. That would be hilarious. 

"Times have been hard in our city but nothing will get in the way of this tradition that has brought us all together today." 
I wanted to scoff or merely roll my eyes. But the cameras were rolling and the Princess needed to stay in control. But the Princess had very compelling thoughts that were pulling me into a different mindset every other minute. 

"So let's begin our annual parade!" my father concluded. Cheers erupted through the city. For a second, I thought they were screams of terror. But I quickly disregarded the thought and relaxed again. I didn't even feel myself tense up. 
We walked off the side of the stage through a line of Gotham's strongest police towards the convertible car with a sleek black exterior that reflected the gloomy city. My father and mother in the front and the four of us fit into the back. But Eric and Luke sat on the top of the seat, their feet sitting at my side and Olivia's while we sat together in the middle. 
Warm cups of hot chocolate were put in our hands and with security guards walking at our side, my father drove slowly down the road and began the parade. 

"Is this your first time?" I asked, looking up at Eric. I admired the glint in his eyes as he looked around. 
"Yeah. It's amazing." Eric replied, his hand resting on my shoulder. I smiled and looked around with him. The street beyond us was ours only and the crowds of people off to the sides grew more packed by the second as they piled up behind the gates. 
My chest felt tighter as I looked at the crowd. So many people were here and Joker had a surprise for me today. All of the little kids with the big smiles and the mothers who held them. 
Something wasn't sitting right in my stomach and my head started to pulse. I was as stiff as the building structures surrounding me and towering me as well. I felt smaller now. 

"Are you okay?" Olivia asked, nudging my elbow. I looked over and smiled but I can feel it in my face that I wasn't as convincing as I thought. 
"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" 

As if on cue, an unsettling roar shook the air. Several explosion like sounds went off behind me and I jumped with every single pop that hit my ear drums. I had to turn around. 
My eyes fell on the floats falling to the ground in pieces on fire while glass from the buildings shattered. The balloons exploding definitely would have done that. 

The guards walking by our car became a human shield. 
"Turn the vehicle to the left and go down the side street!" a guard yelled. 
I reached over my sister and grabbed Luke by his coat to pull him into the car just as Eric squeezed in. Through the tight shield of guards, SWAT team members dressed in black, armed and ready with guns and helmets replaced our wave of basic police officers.
Once down the street that was blocked off by the same SWAT team members on both ends, my father stepped out of the car.

"Will someone tell me what the hell is going on?!" he yelled. I flinched slightly. I wanted to laugh at how silly his face looked when he yelled. My mother looked like she just saw a ghost and she seemed glued to her seat. 
"We need to get out of here." she said, her voice trembling. 
I looked over at Olivia who was biting her bottom lip and anxiously playing with her fingers. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. 
"You're going to be okay." I whispered, kissing her forehead. "Take deep breaths. We'll be out of here soon." I looked over at Luke and we shared the same look of understanding that we needed to help Olivia. Luke grabbed her hands to keep her from fidgeting. 

"Now isn't the time for a goddamn breakdown!" my father yelled. 

"Stop yelling! She's scared and can't control her panic attacks. If you ever paid attention to anything but yourself you would have known that a long time ago!" I yelled right back. My father can ruin our relationship, scold me for hating his city, and turn me away but he can't yell at my sister for something she can't control. 

"Don't yell at your father. We're in a very bad situation right now, Olivia." my mother snapped, turning around to face me.

"Listen, we need to get you all of here. Separate everyone and we'll all take different routes and meet back at your apartment in an hour. It's the safest option. If you guys are together you'll be at a greater risk of being targeted." a SWAT team member explained. 
"She can't be alone." I argued. 
"I'll be fine." Olivia mumbled shakily. I didn't believe it but I had to respect her wishes. 
"Okay." I said. I was hit with the cold when I let go of her and we all got out of the car. Immediately, I pulled her and my brother into a hug. I knew this was the Joker's doing. I also knew that he wouldn't dare hurt my family. But right now, I was Sophia and I needed to take care of the people I cared for most. That also didn't include either of my parents. 

"Be safe. I love you guys." I said. They both nodded and went with their designated SWAT team members. I looked at my mother and father and nodded. I wouldn't like to see them dead. I knew that deep in my heart. "Be careful." 

I turned around and looked at Eric who obviously was covering how truly scared he was. I smiled and took a deep breath. 
"You have nothing to be worried about. They'll take care of you too." I said. Eric nodded. "Well there's a first for everything, right?" he shrugged, throwing in a nervous laugh. Eric took my hand and brought it up to his cold lips. "I'll see you soon." 
Again, I smiled. It was very charming of him but at the same time, I knew it felt slightly wrong.
I watched him walk past me to his designated SWAT group and as my group approached me, the one in front accidentally bumped into Eric's shoulder. That was rude. 

"Follow us." the man in front said. We walked closer towards the street only to turn into a doorway to the hotel we were right next to. I was lead inside the emergency exit and it happened to be a staircase with a door off to the side. The white stairwell was silent as if the world outside the walls was perfectly fine. We went through the door and it was a small hallway of doors. At the other end of the hallway, the sign above the door read "Hotel Lobby/Parking Garage." We passed by the office doors and headed straight through the doors to the parking garage. I was silent with the rest of them and when we passed through the lobby to get to the parking garage door, I was surprised to hear the crowd of people screaming and crying in the lobby. I saw the different groups of people through the gaps of my protectors. I didn't feel any sympathy which concerned me. But before I had anytime to dwell on it, we were passing through the door already. 

"So where exactly am I going to go for the next hour?" I asked. 

The man in front of me stopped to turn around and I came to an abrupt stop that nearly cost me my balance. I watched as he took the helmet from his head and I gasped at the sight of bleached skin and that silver smile. 

"Hiya, pumpkin." Joker grinned. 

I smiled and went with my urge to throw my arms around his bulky uniform and pull him into a hug.

"We got names for each other now?" I laughed. 

"Get dressed. We got a show to put on!" Joker growled in his pleasant tone.