02. Brother Sister Conversation

"Good morning, Lindsey and Ms Bag... I mean Ms Bragge, " my brother, Dylan, says.

What is he doing here?

He's usually asleep at this time and he always comes home after my bedtime. I even don't remember the last time I saw him, a few days ago, a few weeks or months.

He has always been a shadow figure in my life. The kind of a hooded figure that disappears right when you think that they are behind you.

His appearance in my life is like that person who is at the back of a photograph, almost invisible and unnoticeable but still there.

At least, he remembers my name.

"I see you're up pretty early, Lindsey. I thought you wouldn't be up till 7.55." He smiles. "You always liked to sleep in."

Oh, so he remembers.

"It's a good thing I figured that I'd check."

I think Ms Bragge is still half asleep since she is not talking. I, on the other hand, am thinking.

Why is he here?

"Oh, look at me I didn't even wish you a happy birthday."

He remembers?

"Come with me, I have to show you something." He starts to get off his chair and walks out of the dining room.

My mouth is a little agape at the sudden intrusion but I quickly stand up and follow him.

After speeding my steps for a few seconds, I finally catch him. Dylan looks back at me, smiles and continues walking.

As we are walking I notice, for the first time, his fully grown body. He isn't the same skinny teenager who lost his parents and sister seven years ago.

Wow, he really does look ten years older than me. I guess I never noticed.

We start advancing up the stairs to the attic.

The attic? Really?

He holds out the shinning silver keys of the attic from his pocket to me. I reflexively take the crescent shaped keys and open the old wooden door. It opens with a light click. Dylan motions for me to go in and also follows.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"You remember you always wanted to come here when you were little? Mum and Dad would never let you. You always wanted to see the ancestoral pictures of Edenfield stored here and explore."

Now, that he mentions it, this attic is kind of like the museum of Edenfield, our- I mean my house.

"Yes."

"Then go explore. If you like anything, take it. "

"Thank you..." I say faintly. He only smiles again.

I start looking around and spot a box. As an attic, it is full of boxes, but this one, intrigues me.

This box is sealed with a thin layer of some feeble duct tape which I just peel off. I open it and find some old decoration pieces in it.

I sigh, a little bit disappointed, and stand up. As I try to turn away from the box, my foot sinks into the hardwood floor with a small creak.

What the...?

I look down and find that my foot had been sunken into a loose floorboard. Shaking my head, I pull myself out of it but something catches my eye.

There is a book under it.

I reach down and take the book out of its misery. By closely examining the book, I come to the conclusion that it is actually an old looking journal with the year 1890 written on it. Now, it is 2015.

It really is old.

I run my thumb over its crimson-coloured cover. The years have cast their plague on the journal but it still is good enough to use. I open it but it is blank. I flip through more pages but they are also the same, pale yellow and empty.

While I was looking, Dylan also started to look at the old rusty pictures.

Edenfield has been home to the Knightleys for generations. My brother and I are its decendents. According to what my dad used to say. Well, it is pretty big and old, in contrast to the other modern houses in this neighbourhood.

"I'm done," I say as I hold the journal against my chest.

Dylan looks over at the journal in my hands. "That old thing? Well, it is your birthday, so what can I say."

I hold out my hand to take tge keys enclasped in them. He closes my hand and says, "Take it. Consider this as a present."

I don't know what comes over me but I hug him.

This is actually the first time we are having a sibling scene.

He's also surprised but he soon wraps his arms around me. I actually feel comfortable in his arms. But I decide to pull away.

He gives a faint smile and we leave the attic.

I glance at the clock and it's 7.45 already.
"I'm going to be late!"

"Go then. I didn't realise it would take that long. "

I run to my room, take my bag, hunt down any possible wrinkles on my school uniform and reflexively put the keys and journal in it.

Before leaving, I go and say goodbye to Dylan. He smiles and motions me to go. I run.

Thank you to daisydukexx for the beautiful cover on the side

Anyway, avoid weird typos and Au Revoir;-)

Love,
MS Zame:)