10. Fade

After eating with Dylan, I go straight to my room.

Memories of my past rush into my mind as I lie on my bed.

Even before our parents died, we did not exactly spend time together.

At one point, I thought that he only kept me here because he was my legal guardian after he turned eighteen.

I remember that it was his birthday exactly one day after the car crash. Everyone was so happy.
Dylan and I were never that close to each other, but at least we never dreaded seeing one another.

Coincidently, my birthday was on the fifteenth. Dylan's was on the tenth of the same month.

I was happy. Actually happy.

It was a rainy day the night before the birthday party. My sister, Kathleen, came up to me when I was about to sleep, saying that Mum, Dad and she were going out since they wanted to buy a last minute surpise gift for Dylan. Mum also came in and kissed my forehead before going away.

She asked me to come along but I was too sleepy. Dylan's friends had planned a party for him so he was there. Ms Bragge was the only one here, then.

After an hour or so, I woke up and saw a hailstorm making its way. I thought it was an ordinary one and paid no attention to it.

Little did I know that this hailstorm was going to be the worst one of the decade.

A short while later, I heard someone come in.

It was Ms Bragge.

"H-honey, I'm so sorry."

"'Bout what, Ms Bag?" I said while rubbing my eyes. I always called her Ms. Bag or Gran when I was little.

"Honey, y-your p-parents and Kathleen."

"What 'bout them?"

"T-they're not coming back."

"Why? Is it something I did? Why won't Mummy and Daddy and Kathy come back?"

"They're in a-a better place."

"But why would Mummy go? She kissed me goodnight tonight."

Ms Bragge tried all she could do but I wouldn't stop asking these questions. After a while, she started to cry. I was amazed that even an adult could cry, let alone Ms Bragge.

The next few days were spent by roaming aimlessly across the primeaval structure of Edenfield. I looked at every corner and every nook but I couldn't find Mum, Dad and Kathleen anywhere.

Then exactly two weeks later, I was dragged to the cemetery to attend my parents and sister's funeral.

After one month of the car crash, I wanted to cheer everyone up a bit.

So, I asked Ms Bragge to bake two cakes. One for my birthday and one for Dylan's, since I was too young to bake myself.

I even asked Dylan to come early that day. I told him on the phone that I had a surprise.

"Dylan!"

"What Lindsey?" he asks nonchalantly.

"I have a surprise for you! Could you come home earlier 'day. Pretty please with a cute strawberry on top 'cause I don't like cherries?"

"Okay. Okay. I'll come. Happy now?"

"Yes."

He then hung up the phone.

I waited till 11.59 P.M. Then I called him.

"Dylan! Where are you!"

"Oh Lindsey, I was going to call but I have some work to do so..."

"Oh."

"Lindsey,"

"Hm?"

"Go to sleep. It's past your bedtime."

"O..."

He then hung up before I could finish my sentence.

After all these years.... everything had become just a vague memory.

Why.. why did he have to show up and ruin everything? I was fine on my own. I take back my wish of having him with me.

It was better that he had never shown up.

After the funeral, everyone said that the pain will go away in time and that it's only an illusion, a nightmare. I tried to convince myself that pain is just an illusion but I couldn't.

Pain isn't an illusion. It's a dagger that twists and turns in your chest till you're profusely bleeding. It's something that leaves scars, not wounds. Wounds may heal but scars don't. They just fade over time, but are still there.

I shake my head to rid of these thoughts and try to come back to reality.

Tears really don't come when you need them, don't they...

So this chapter is to explain why does Lindsey stay away from her only family in the world

So this chapter is to explain why does Lindsey stay away from her only family in the world. To those who may think that she is being childish, just look from Lindsey's point of view.

Sure, it was hard for Dylan too since his parents' and sister's funeral was on the day of his birth.

But Lindsey, on the other hand, was just a sensitive seven year old slash soon to be an eight year old. And not interacting with anyone made her even more negative towards her brother.

I hope that this clarifies her state.

Music: Human-- Krewella

Remember guys, the love between a guy and a girl isn't the only type there is.

P. S Thanks for Reading;)

Avoid weird typos.

Love,
MS Zame:)