44. Transcend

Death shall not be the end of us.

When I first read those words on Henry's grave, I never could have thought that their living-breathing proof would stand in front of me.

An unsettling feeling rests in my chest while my brain keeps on saying, This isn't real.

Kathleen invites me into her fluttering arms, while slightly biting her lower lip. Though, the smile still embrioders her face.

It is her; she always bit her lower lip when she'd be nervous.

Before I know it, my feet have already skated towards her and her arms engulf me in a tightly-knit embrace. She puts one arm on my back and pats my head with another as I try to swallow the droplets that threaten to escape me. I feel a few drops from Kathleen's eyes land on my right shoulder.

Kathleen's real, she's actually with me. My sister...

"This is so beautiful."
Allison awes from my back, waking both Kathleen and me from our paralysis. Kathleen wipes her face with the back of her palm as we look at everyone else. I just hope nobody sees my reddened nose and glazed eyes. Ethan continues to stare at me but Allison only adores the sisterly scene. Gem, on the other hand, only rotates around Kathleen and me.

"You could have joined too, Dylan. Don't you remember what Mum used to say: 'You should learn to express yourself more'," Kathleen says.

"You've been alive all this time..."
Dylan manages to says as his hand unconsciously gestures towards her.

"No, I haven't. Who told you that?" I wait for a sarcastic smirk but it never comes from her, making everyone snap their heads towards her.

"You aren't alive?" Ethan asks as he ruffles his hair again.

Kathleen shakes her head as the fabric of her dress kisses the air. She beseats herself, her legs crossed and a smirk playing on her face.
Ethan's hand in his hair soon drops to his cheeks while Allison blinks rapidly and Dylan stays emotionless. My own hand soon meets the back of my neck.
"How did I hug you, then?"

"Hm, there are a lot of misconceptions about ghosts. One is that we can't touch mortals." She takes an arm out and lightly rubs her chin,
"Henry and I made sure that you couldn't touch anything in the memories. Though, that chandelier shard actually hitting Dylan in the second memory was unintended."

Finally, Dylan decides to give a different shade to his grey expression and holds his hands up in surrender as he says,
"Where's Henry? I expect he'll be here soon."

Kathleen tilts her head to the side and looks out of the window before saying,
"He said he wanted to attend his funeral again. As if ome time isn't enough."
She looks at an invisible watch on her wrist and says,
"And... here he is."

"Very amusing, Kathleen."
Henry says from beside Allison and Ethan, making both of the cousins jump.

"Your sister likes a grand entrance, by the way. I am not to be held accountable for the previous duelling."
Dylan and I constantly look in between the two ghosts.

"You could have warned us," Ethan mutters a sigh before shaking his head.

"My apologies, Mr Ingram,"
Henry says as he sways through the room with his hands in the pockets of his apricot blooms coat. His trousers and tie, like Kathy's blouse, are coal black.