19. Dwellings

Giselle Caroline
Bragge

I walk downstairs after giving the children their cake and tea.

But Dylan is not a child anymore.

I think about this as I sit at my usual seat in the kitchen. I remember when all three of the Knightley children were born.

I have been living in Edenfield for almost sixty years now. Edenfield has and will always be my dwelling.

Dylan and Lindsey's grandmother took Dianne, my sister, and I when we were only children. My parents had died when we were very little.

I called their grandmother Mrs Knightley.

She was a very amiable woman. Having no child of their own, Mr. and Mrs Knightley treated us as their own.

I was about fifteen years of age when their first and only child, Charles, was born; but we called him Charlie as a nick name.

My sister had married a few years before Charlie was born.

Charles was such a rascal. Always running around and doing only the Lord knows what.

Mr and Mrs Knightley made me his Godmother, thus providing another excuse for me to spend the rest of my life here. Both of them did leave money for Dianne and me, but we both don't use it a lot.
Dianne has her own family, while I am already married to my home, Edenfield.

Charlie was very hard to handle. Mrs Knightley would always let me look after her first child eventhough she was very protective of him since he was born so many years after her marriage.

Mrs Knightley always adored going to dance recitals of ballet. She often used to get invitations of dance recitals herself.

All of the ballet dance studios wanted Mrs Knightley to come and adorn their fame. Mrs Knightley always took Charlie and I, too.

Charlie would always hate going there. One day,

"I don't want to go, Gissy," an eighteen year old Charlie says while pacing to and fro around the room.

Charlie calls me Gissy as a nick name of my name, Giselle.

This boy is like the little brother I never had, but sometimes he is very annoying.

I sigh deeply and say,
"Don't be silly, boy. You know your mother loves to bring you with her to such events."

"I know. She'd have made me take ballet lessons if I was a girl!"

The old grandfather clock strikes twelve times, meaning it is 12 P.M.

"You should get ready, now. Your mother will be here soon to pick us up."

He groans but leaves the room to get ready. A little while later, Mrs Knightley comes and we all go to the studio. Charlie makes silent groans during the entire ride.

We all sit in our reserved seats and wait for the show to start.

"Mum, can I go somewhere else? I'll still be in the studio."

Mrs Knightley sighs heavily and says,
"Of course, Charlie. But take these back stage passes with you. Just in case you do not get kicked out." She smiles at him and hands him the passes.

Charlie takes the passes and puts them in his pocket. He wanders off to the direction of the back stage.

It has been almost fifteen minutes since Charlie has left. I get up of my seat to find him. I wonder where he is.