Chapter 16: Meet The Parents

*a few days later

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. My Mom is coming today." I mutter, mainly to myself.

"You'll be fine. Besides she's your mom. Shouldn't I be the one worrying?" Dan comforts, wrapping an arm around me.

"I guess you're right. But my mom hasn't been the most supportive in the past. Most of the guys I dated in the past she didn't approve of. She loved my first boyfriend, Shawn. Oh such a gentlemen, blah blah blah. And ever since we broke up, she's been comparing ever guy to him. And according to her, they aren't as good as him." I tell him, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Well I'll just have to be on my best behavior then won't I?" Dan whispers in my ear. I nod my head. Dan starts to sway us back and fourth and I close my eyes.

"Every time I look at you, I fall in love with you all over again." I confess. I open my eyes and see Dan staring down at me.

"I love you." Dan says.

"And I love you." I say back. Dan presses his lips softly on mine. Our lips mold together perfectly, just like they always have.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Jesus Mother of Mary. She's here already." I exclaim, starting to become panicky.

Dan places a kiss under my ear and whispers, "you're okay."

I shoot him a smile as I walk down the stairs to the front door.

I suck in a breath and open the door.

"Lauren!" My family exclaims.

"Mom, Dad, Nate, you're all here! I thought Mom was the only one coming!" I exclaim, feeling myself becoming more nervous.

"Well we all wanted to meet him so, here we are! Oh and by the way, I don't remember buying this apartment." My mom says.

"That's because you didn't. Mak moved to California and I moved in with Dan." I explain. My mom's smile fades a little.

"Hello Mr and Mrs DeRose! I'm Dan Howell. It's a pleasure to meet you all!" Dan exclaims, coming up behind me. I'm shocked at how sophisticated he sounds and it makes me want to laugh. But I keep it in.

"Please please come in!" Dan says, motioning for them to come in. My parents and brother walk through the door and as they do Dan shakes their hands.

"Dan and I made lunch for you guys." I state as we walk into the dining room.

"Take a seat wherever." Dan tells them. Dan takes a seat next to me like always and my Dad takes a seat on the other side of me. I turn towards my Dad and give him a huge hug.

"I missed you so much Dad!" I exclaim.

"I did too pumpkin!" My Dad replies. Not to be rude to my mother but my Dad was always my favorite.

We all start to dig in into the food we made.

"So Dan, you do YouTube, like Lauren?" My Mom questions.

"Yes I do ma'am." Dan responds.

"You know Lauren was obsessed with you for ages. And well, by the looks of it she still is." My Mom says.

"Mom are you serious?!" I exclaim, embarrassed. Dan chuckles beside me and I slap him on the leg.

"What he should know that you had most of his merch and any second you had, you were watching him or what was that other guy, Ricky?" My mom asks.

"Can you just stop!" I say, covering my eyes with my hand. My mom nods her head in agreement.

"You better me treating my daughter with absolute respect and taking care of her." My Dad tells Dan.

"I am sir. She means the world to me. I love her." Dan states. I look at Dan and smile. Dan smiles back.

"And I love him." I reply. I give Dan a quick peck on the lips, knowing it can't be more than that in front of my parents.

========

We continued to eat our lunch and have conversations about Dan and things I missed back at home.

"I'll help clean up." My brother Nate says. I'm taken back because Nate never wants to help clean up. Especially when it's with me.

We take all of the dishes into the kitchen and start to wash them.

"You've been quite this entire time." I say to Nate.

"I was just trying to get a good read on you two." Nate replies.

"And that would be?" I ask.

"You two really love each other. Lauren I know you guys started Dan a little bit ago. But you've never acted this happy around someone. I think he might be the one." Nate says. I stare at him with shock.

"You've never said that about any of my boyfriends except for Shawn. And you never said that so soon." I reply.

"That's because I mean what I say. And besides he'd be a pretty cool brother in law. I've seen his videos, I know he's the glorified version of himself out there." Nate tells me.

"Well Mom has to approve of him." I say. Nate nods his head.

"Thank you so much Nate." I exclaim and catch him in a hug.

"You're welcome." Nate replies.

We finish cleaning up and head back into the living room to find my parents laughing with Dan.

"Hey guys." I say, taking a seat next to Dan on the couch.

"Hey Lauren." Dan responds, putting an arm around my shoulder.

"I think we're going to head out. Dan is a lovely man. You did well." My Mom exclaims. Hearing this puts a bright smile on face.

"Thanks Mom!" I squeal. I hop up from the couch and give her a hug.

"Bye sweetie!" My Mom says.

"Bye bud!" My Dad exclaim and give me a hug after I release myself from Mom.

"Great meeting you Dan!" My Dad says shaking his hand.

"You too!" Dan replies. My Mom then gives him a hug and Nate shakes his hand. And with that they leave.

"They actually approve of you." I say, grinning ear to ear.

"I know. And now that they're gone, we can do this." Dan says. He presses his lips on mine and our lips move in sync. I smile into the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck. I pull away and rest my forehead on his.

"I love you." I say.

"I love you." Dan says.

This is what I've needed my whole life.