Chapter 41: The Proposal

Lauren's POV

As I wait for them to call my plane, I quietly sing to my unborn child in my belly. My life is changing before my eyes and I find myself wondering if this was the right choice.

"Flight 34 to Chicago now boarding." Well I guess this is now or never.

I perk my head up and as soon as I do, my eyes connect with the one I love most. But also the one I hate most, well besides Lydia. 

"Lauren!" Dan exclaims. He has tears in his eyes, and it took everything inside of me not to run and jump in his arms. 

"Dan what are you doing here?" I ask, a little of bitterness lacing through my voice. 

"I'm here to stop you from getting on that plane. Lauren just hear me out before you leave. God, I had this whole speech I was going to tell you about how you should stay, but seeing you here now, I've forgotten it all. So I'll start from scratch. Lauren Elizabeth DeRose, I'm so in love with you. I would never cheat on you, so believe me when I say she kissed me. That day you ran into me in shakeaway, I knew you were the one. I spent hours contemplating about what I was going to text you. And when I found out you returned these same feelings for me, oh my god I was over the moon. And that night in LA, when I took you out on that picnic and I told you that I loved you, I made a promise to myself. I promised myself that I would love you for the rest of my life and that one day I would be waiting at the end of the isle, watching as you make your way down the aisle, in your beautiful dress. And Lauren, I know I always said that I didn't want to be a father but I do Lauren, I really, really do. I know you're pregnant and I'm here to raise this child with you. And I'm here to ask you something Lauren," Dan cries. He gets down on one knee and takes a ring box out of his pocket. He opens the box and reveals the most beautiful ring I've ever seen. 

"Will you marry me?" Dan asks, smiling up at me. 

I stand speechless as Dan sheds tears in front of me. He wants to raise this child with me? He wants to marry me?

"Lauren please just say something. Please just don't get on that damn plane." Dan says.

"Yes. Yes I'll marry you Daniel." I exclaim. Dan looks at me in shock before he smiles and places the ring on my finger. He stands up and wraps me up in his arms.

"I love you so much." Dan whispers in my ear. I giggle slightly before responding.

"I love you so much Dan." 

When we finally release ourselves from our hug, Dan intertwines our fingers. 

"We should probably get back. We need to work this out with Phil, he lost his fiance too. God she is such a bitch." Dan says, making me laugh a little.

"I've missed that laugh," Dan tells me, making me laugh again.

"And I've missed you," I reply before pulling Dan in for a kiss.

"Alright let's get going."

=======

"Phil?" Dan calls into the house. The house was eerily quiet. Mak and Kian had left and Phil was nowhere in sight. 

"He's probably in his room." I mumble. Dan nods his head before leading me upstairs to Phil's room.

"Phil?" Dan calls again once we are at his door. Again, there is no response.

"Just walk in." I tell him, eyeing the door. Dan takes a deep breath before opening up the door. 

The room was an absolute disaster. There are no words to describe the state the room was in. And there sat a crying Phil in the corner.

"What the hell happened! Phil are you okay?" Dan exclaims, rushing over to Phil's side. 

"Why are you even talking to me right now?" Phil croaks, his voice thick with tears. 

"What are you talking about Phil?" Dan asks, his eyebrows furrowed with confusion. 

"I was so awful to you, both of you, and I didn't even see it. Lydia had me believe that you were the ones at fault every single time. God, I was so blind. Just leave me here in my misery." Phil cries.

"Phil it's okay, we forgive you. But I'm not going to leave my best friend at his worst." Dan replies, putting an arm around Phil.

"I don't deserve your forgiveness." Phil mutters.

"Yes you do. Now come on, let's get you out of this, mess, and downstairs on the couch." Dan tells Phil. Dan and I help Phil to his feet. But before he can go anywhere, I wrap him in a hug.

"Everything is going to get better Phil." I whisper gently to him. 

"I really wish I could believe that." Phil replies. 

Eventually we get Phil on the couch and he falls asleep quickly.

"Come join me." Dan says from the chair, his arms spread out wide. I smile sheepishly and sit on his lap. He wraps his arms around me and I comfortably lean back into him.

"How far along are you?" Dan asks before placing a soft kiss on my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"About a month." I reply, sighing. 

"I can't believe I'm going to be a father and I can't believe I'm engaged to most beautiful women on Earth." Dan tells me. I smile back at him and kiss him. 

"I have to do something." I mutter as a thought comes to mind.

"What do you have to do?" Dan asks.

"I have to go find someone who started this whole mess." I reply. Dan looks at me with worry.

"I'm coming with you," Dan states.

"No, this is something I have to do on my own." I say before getting up off of Dan's lap.

"Okay, I love you." Dan exclaims, a skeptical look on his face.

"And I love you." I respond. 

I guess I'm going to go see Lydia.

=======

I'm almost at 1K! Love you all!