Chapter 2 - Checking In

ROWTAG

The satisfaction I feel right now is incredible. Our efforts of the past years are paying off. The lobby is full of people checking in and looking ready to enjoy their time at Gray Wolf Ranch.

Who would have thought my brothers and I would ever become lodging property owners? It's fate, I guess. Our late grandfather from our mother's side started with a chain of roadside motels, which eventually evolved into the Royal Residence Hotels. Dad became the Operations Director when he married Mother while she worked in Human Resources. We grew up between the guests, running on the grounds, eating in the staff kitchen and taking a dive in the pool. At the end of each day, we would sleep in construction trailers or, when ready, a full-service family suite built on each hotel to accommodate our stay. Until I was 12 years old...

After studying and becoming professionals, my brothers and I tried our luck with different ventures and getting experience in the hospitality or farming business. Every time we came together, we talked about how we wanted to run our own property. Our knowledge and experience were more than enough to make the idea a reality.

About three years ago, and after finding a suitable location, I made a tight business plan while Istu worked on the financial projections. Huritt made visuals, a mood board for the interiors and talked with the business owners around the valley for collaboration opportunities. We had savings, among us four, but needed the financial backup and advice from our parents to make it a reality. We wanted a vacation compound, not a hotel, but a series of individual lodges and a camping site, with one central service building plus recreational areas.

Dad was hesitant about investing in our idea and Mother even more when I presented the plan, but when we told them Kitchi would run a stable and a farm on the premises, they couldn't say no. To this day, I'm not sure if they trusted him capable of doing it or pity was involved in their decision.

Two years ago, the four of us moved into the grounds and lived in two trailers. We wanted to supervise the construction up close and get a feel of the place we would call home for the time to come. Huritt started right away with his work. He set up a website with the information on the upcoming vacation spot and kept a detailed blog with photos of the construction of the lodges and the main ranch building. He wanted to keep people excited about the brand-new place through social media and it worked.

"Can you give me more activity kits? I didn't know we were expecting so many children."

Huritt stands next to me with an empty box. He has been approaching the families with children in tow to welcome the little ones and inform the parents about the kids' club.

"Maybe because it's opening weekend," I hand him a new box and a pair of scissors to open it.

"At least the parents give me grateful looks when I tell them about the club. I bet they think, finally, peace!" He chuckles.

"I believe it's a great idea. Education mixed with fun."

"Cause you are a nerd," Huritt smiles cheekily and returns to the entrance.

I smile at my brother. We couldn't be more different, starting with the fact that he has lighter skin and green eyes, while the rest of us have copper skin and brown eyes. While I enjoy a quiet night out on the back deck, Huritt's idea of relaxation is going out for a beer at the bar downtown and chat with the locals. That's why besides his studies and experience in marketing, his personality makes him the perfect person to entertain our guests. Soon we will have an entertainment program and even local tours, all thanks to his networking skills.

"This is looking good. Full house so to see."

I look to my side to see my third brother Istu, who smiles at the crowd in front of us. Just like me, he wears his light gray shirt embroidered with the ranch logo. His hair is parted on the side, and the fringe falls over his thick glasses.