Chapter 17 - Relief

ROWTAG

When Monique and her mother came to the office to ask if she could see Kit before leaving, I couldn't say no. In the past weeks, they have spent so much time together and I've never seen him so happy. I agreed to give Monique a ride to the hospital. As it is my turn to spend the night, one of my brothers can bring her back. While she returned to their lodge to take medication, I had a chat with Mrs. Olson.

"Rowtag, I hope your brother recovers soon. I'm so thankful for all he's done. We came here to forget the awful events at the end of last year. Since then, my life has been centered on the wellbeing and protection of my daughter. Your brother has given her courage and has helped me to realize that she's still a capable woman. I'm here to assist her when he wants it and not to do everything for her. She's gained her confidence back and hopes her life will return to how it was or close to it."

"Kit and Monique developed a special bond in the past weeks. I must admit that I'm guilty at times of shielding him from the world. It has given me so much satisfaction to see him take that protective and guiding role."

"He's done more than just that. Rowtag, Monique has fallen in love with him. It's a surprise because Monique isn't the kind of woman who falls in love easily. Your brother must have special qualities."

Her words surprised me and warmed my heart at the same time. Kit has never had a girlfriend, and we all know his limitations make him feel insecure around women. Monique fell in love with the great guy he is and doesn't see him as a charity case.

I said goodbye to Mrs. Olson as I won't be there during her check out and then headed to the pool building. I haven't been feeling well and wanted to get some tips from Olivia about what I could do. I opened the door of the First Aid office and found her counting small boxes.

"Any news about Kitchi?" She asked without lifting her gaze.

Olivia aided Kitchi during the first seizures and stayed with us until the ambulance arrived. She helped Monique to fill in the words while she explained to us what my brother could be going through then. I would have freaked out without her. Seeing her calm and reassuring our brother help was on the way kept my head clear.

"How did you know it is me? Never mind. No news yet, but I will head in the afternoon to the hospital. What are you doing?" I said while grabbing a box of gauze from her desk.

"Refilling the first aid travel case. Since the campsite opened, we do more house calls by bike. That is where Brian is right now attending a cooking burn," she finally looked at me. "Row, are you okay?"

"No, I barely slept and when I did, nightmares plagued me," I said truthfully. "I'm hoping you have something to perk me up."

"Coffee perks you up and you drink more than enough. When's the last time you got a proper health check? Never mind, your face says it all. Sit on the examination table and take your shirt off."

"My- My shirt?"

"Yeah, don't be a prude. I've seen everything," she chuckled.

I did as she asked while she got out her examination tools and a notebook.

"Your heart is racing," she said while putting her hand on my bare chest. "Calm down. It's just me."

"That is the reason."

"What do you mean?"

What did I mean? That she has been in my mind since the moment I met her, and my miserable days turn better when she is around.

"I- Was just trying to be... Funny?"

Of course, Olivia didn't believe me and just smiled at me while listening to my heart. She then took my temperature and pinched my finger to check my blood.