Chapter 33 - Phone

KITCHI

Chris' face shows the happiness I feel. We walk to the lodge in this beautiful weather which matches the day events perfectly.

"I'm glad you brought me. I'm humbled by nature. What an experience!" Chris says as we walk back to the lodge.

"You have taken excellent care of Bette in the last months. You couldn't miss it. I have seen little... Baby horse?" I say.

"Foal."

"Foal, thanks. I have seen them come into the world at my grandparents' farm, but Bette is my horse and this feels special, as if I just became a grandfather."

Chris snorts and winces. "I have to be honest. I've been fearing returning to the stables. Seeing that colt take its first wobbly steps gave me enough happy memories to erase what happened there."

I look at Chris' pale face and I'm glad I still have my best friend by my side. The shot wound wasn't close to vital organs, yet he lost so much blood. He tries his best to put a happy face for everyone, but we know his body is still weak. On our orders and the doctor's recommendation he has been resting, but I didn't want him to miss Bette giving birth.

"Chris, I feel so grateful for everything you have done for me since we met, like helping me with the words I forget and things I misplace. Then you took care of the farm while I was recovering and saved us on that terrible day. We were the next ones and who knows what Pratt would have done next."

"Gives me chills to think about it."

"On a positive thought, seems we might become related now that your sister and my brother are a thing."

"I'm happy and relieved that Amy accepted your brother. I always feared she would end up with a man who would treat her as badly as our father did. Huritt is good for her and loves her."

"He does, and it's fucking annoying. First, I had to put up with the depressed face and now he walks on clouds."

Chris and I look at each other trying to keep a straight face but it doesn't last long.

"I need to pay better attention when he's around," Chris says when we stop laughing. "Hey, I've noticed you don't get stuck on words as much as before."

"I've also noticed it. I will always forget stuff and won't be able to learn quickly, but the doctor says I have a better blood flow to my brain."

"Maybe you should try to learn a few simple things. Who knows? Maybe you will be the one emailing Monique instead of Rowtag."

"That will be the day. Just looking at how their fingers move when..." I wiggle my fingers.

"Typing."

"Yeah, when typing. It makes me dizzy."

"Try it once. If it doesn't work, then it's okay," Chris sits on a couch in the lodge living room and turns the TV on.

"I'll go to the farm later. The doctor says it's okay. I can help Ben and frankly I've missed it."

"That's good news. Hopefully I will join soon too."

I say goodbye to Chris and head to the main building. I find Rowtag at the front desk, helping guests by marking stuff on a paper map. He sees me walk by and lifts a finger to signal me to wait. The guests give him a big smile when he hands them the map and thank him.

"How did it go?"

"Perfect labor, fairly quick and now we have a little boy. The vet and Grandma were with Bette the whole time, but she didn't need help. The colt is completely black like his dad," I feel so proud of my girl.