Chapter 34 - Camping

ROWTAG

In the beginning, Huritt thought going camping was a crazy idea, but now is all enthusiastic. He made lists and packed the food as he didn't trust anyone on doing it properly. During a recent night at Olivia's, I shared with her my concern about finding the right moment to speak with my brothers about the family situation. I felt that unless they all know the secret I've been keeping and get to ask questions, I won't feel at peace to enjoy my relationship. Olivia and I brainstormed on possible scenarios and going camping seemed the best option; away from the ranch and a reminder of something we loved doing.

Back at Broken Arrow, we would set up our tents in the middle of the woods and sometimes we would pull our sleeping bags under the stars when the sky was clear. We would fight over who was pulling the blankets on a cold night and sometimes over who ate the last of Grandma's cookies, but most of the time enjoyed ourselves and had good laughs. It strengthened our bond.

"Are you nervous? I am for sure," Istu says while riding next to me.

Kitchi and Huritt are way ahead of us and can't hear our conversation so I confess how I'm feeling to my brother.

"I am. I don't know how Huritt will react to the news. That's why I wanted to be away from the ranch. Whatever has to be said will be said until all is clear," I say and Istu nods.

"I have missed this. I take Clark for a ride in the paddock, but that's all the time I have. I love my job, but nothing beats being outside."

"I agree. Lately, I'm eating at my desk or late at home. Only when I stay at Olivia's house, I can enjoy a meal calmly. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight without feeling rushed. Huritt packed food for a week."

Istu chuckles, then his face turns serious. "Rowtag, I went to see Josh."

"How did that go?" I don't want to sound like I'm prying, but I'm interested.

"It went better than I thought possible. He forgave me for how I treated him."

"I bet you feel relieved."

"I do. I also told him I have feelings for him, and he has them for me as well," he eyes my reaction.

"I'm happy you have found a man who loves you. Even if it was a shaky start," I say and Istu's worried face changes into one full of happiness.

"Mom will probably disown me when she finds out I'm bisexual, but to be honest I couldn't care less. These past months have opened my eyes to the real her."

I reserve my opinion on Karen for another time and focus on him. "Are you and Josh in a relationship?"

"Not really. The feelings are out and we talked briefly about his plans. He wants to start a microbrewery in the valley and went to check lots. The financing is done, so he's serious about settling here. Once everything is finalized and he moves here, we can see where everything takes us."

I pat his arm. "I have no doubts it will all work out."

We eventually arrive at a place Kit discovered shortly after we moved to the ranch grounds; a flat sandbank along the river that's large enough to fit two tents and tie the horses to the nearby trees. The weather prediction looked positive with clear skies and a fresh breeze.

"Are you sure this place is safe? If a current comes, we'll be washed away," Huritt looks around with a doubtful expression.

"Of course, it's safe. You know we haven't had rain in weeks. What are you really afraid of?" Kitchi says while unrolling a sleeping bag.

"I don't know. Big animals, whatever..."

"Don't be an idiot. Those four are the largest animals here," Kit points at the horses. "Unless you are afraid of a few fireflies."