Chapter 31 - Wolf

CHRIS

The black shape in front of me sharpens until I see a TV screen hanging from the ceiling.

"Chris... Thank you God..."

Amy's voice makes me turn to my right and my heart breaks when I focus on her bloodshot eyes. Surely, I gave her a big scare, only this time, the circumstances are different. I try to smile to reassure her that I'm okay.

"Hey, sis..." I try to sit, but a groan escapes me when I put the weight on my left arm. "This hurts like hell!"

"Try to move as little as possible. The bullet broke your collarbone," Amy fixes my pillows to prop me up some.

"How long have I been in here?" I notice the almost empty blood bag attached to my arm.

"About eight hours," Amy looks at her watch.

"Are Sebastian and Kitchi okay? Sebastian also got shot, right?"

"Yes, but the bullet only grazed his arm. They are both at their homes resting."

"Is Nadine okay?"

The door opens and Huritt comes in, carrying a few bags from a fast-food chain. His worried face turns into a relieved one when he sees me.

"I'm so glad to see you awake," he places the bags on a small table and pats my leg. "Amy, I've got your dinner," he says to my sister.

"Huritt, where is Nadine? Is she okay?"

"She is, among the circumstances. Grandma is keeping her company at the ranch. She's shaken after all that happened, but has kept a brave attitude."

"Please, keep her safe on my behalf," I feel relieved that nothing happened to her.

"I promise," Huritt says.

"Chris, you probably don't want to talk about what happened, but we wonder what went on. All we know is what Sebastian and Ben saw," Amy says.

I take a deep breath to put my thoughts and memories in order and to relax my muscles as the pain of my broken bone seems to have gone up a notch.

"It wasn't even 15 minutes before everything happened, that Nadine was at the stables to tell me she saw the wolf. She always feels calm in his presence, but this time, she felt a sense of urgency. Almost as if it was giving her a warning."

"Nadine has seen it? The wolf? It exists for real?" Amy looks at Huritt with surprise.

"Not for real, it's a protector spirit," I say. "Besides Nadine and Huritt, other people have seen it, including myself, but that's a story for another day. Huritt you are not crazy."

Huritt seems deep in thought at my revelation.

"I told Nadine to call me anytime if she felt uneasy and I would go to her. Then after I mucked the stables, I went to check on Bette because I have the idea that she's due soon. I heard heavy footsteps behind me, different to how any of the guys walk and when I turned around, a man shot me. No words..." I place my hand on my bandaged shoulder. "I fell from the impact while my mind was going a thousand miles per hour. He was still pointing the gun at me when I heard Sebastian and Kitchi's laughter. He turned around and shot in their direction. I used the chance to grab a spade nearby and hit him in the head. Did I kill him?"

"No, but you knocked him out," Amy says. "Ben heard the shots and ran to the stables. He tied the man first in case he woke up and called for help."

"Who is this man? He seemed determined to kill me," I say and Amy shudders.