Chapter 6 - Farm Help

KITCHI

Morning feeding. Morning milking. Muck out the stalls. I did the first two; the third needs to happen. Of all my chores, it is my least favorite one. I'm not disgusted by forking out the horse manure; it's just a time-consuming task. Rowtag wrote in my notebook I have guests for trail rides at two in the afternoon. I will have to do a shit job if I want to finish on time, shower and entertain the people.

I get a marker and update my tasks and schedule on the whiteboard. My brothers have their offices in the main building, and I chose to have mine here in the saddle room. I spend most of the day on the field, and it's more practical this way. When I walk outside to grab a wheelbarrow and a pitchfork, I see Rowtag walking towards the barn with a man dressed in work overalls. I feel curious, so I go to meet them.

"What brings you to the dirty side of the ranch?" I joke with my brother.

Rowtag was always a neat boy with his nose in a book. He liked playing as long as he didn't get a stain on his clothes.

"I brought help," he smiles. "Kitchi, this is Chris, he is the brother of Amy from the kid's club. We have hired him to work at the farm."

"Are you sure you know what you are getting into?" I joke, but the guy only stares at me. "I have enough to keep us entertained."

"Kit, can I have your notebook? I need to write a few things in it," Rowtag says.

"On the- inside- office," I point towards the room. "If it's something I need to know or do today, can you add it to the whiteboard?"

"Sure," he walks inside and leaves Chris and me alone.

"Well, welcome to the ranch. I assume you have worked before in a place like this."

The guy still looks at me wide-eyed and just nods. Is he scared of me? Why should he? I'm not as tall as my brothers are. He's even bigger than me.

"You say little," I say.

"I- I'm sorry. Your brothers... They told me that- You..." He turns red.

"Oh... They told you I'm disabled. Were you expecting some freak?" I mock him. "I look normal on the outside, but you will notice in due time that this here," I point to my head. "It's messed up."

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to offend you."

"Don't worry; you didn't offend me. My brothers told you because they believe I need a babysitter, which I don't. Let me show you around."

I walk together with Chris to the vegetable and fruit patch. On the ground, the tool shed, and the storage hang signs with a picture and a word.

"Huritt made those as memory aids. Helps me remember what is located where. You will see many signs like these all over the grounds. The younger guests also benefit from it, so it's a win-win situation."

"And you really can't remember certain words?"

"Yeah, and not only that. If things are moved from their original places to a new location, I don't know what they are anymore. I can tell you what you can use them for, but not how they're called. What messes me the most is that inside my head I know it all, but on those moments, the rest of my body disconnects."

"That is interesting."

"Fucking annoying is what it is. The brain works in weird ways. So, don't think I have compulsive behavior for keeping things in specific places. I won't be able to function otherwise."

"Fair warning. What are we going to do first?"

"Let me show you the rest and then we can..."

Chris looks at me intently and for a moment, his face looks hazy and gray, as if I'm looking at him through a curtain.