Chapter 40 - Michelle

KITCHI

Since Monique arrived an hour ago, I haven't been able to say a coherent sentence. My family has been catching up with her, and commenting on how much progress she's made in the past months, made obvious by her driving her own car. I could only smile while I felt my chest swell with emotions; love and pride being the strongest. Mrs. Olson followed her to make sure Monique arrived well, and since then has been talking with Grandma.

"Kit, why don't you and Monique take a walk around the grounds? I guess you want to be alone with her," Rowtag says so only I can hear it.

"Do I look desperate?" I ask.

"No, you don't. But I bet you have missed her."

I give a nod to my brother and walk towards Monique. She smiles at me and holds my hand in hers.

"Hey, you! I was wondering if you would ever talk to me."

"Wanna take a walk with me?"

"Sure! Mom? Will you be here when I come back?"

"I'm about to leave. You are in good hands. Enjoy yourself, sweetheart," Mrs. Olson gives her a hug. "Call me to let me know how you are doing."

After wishing Mrs. Olson a safe trip back home, we head downstairs and take the path towards the farm.

"Your speech is good now," I say.

"I booked extra therapy sessions and practiced at each opportunity. I still get stuck, but it's less noticeable that before. People mistake it for a mind slip. My hands are the most affected part. I have trouble picking small things, such as coins. Writing with a pen is also difficult, but I can type without problems. I got a new... Head picture- Don't tell me the word... Scan! That's the word I'm looking for. My injury is less severe than the... Doctors thought. I need to be patient for the rest."

"There's a chance they might want you back at the hospital."

"The whole board of directors would need to leave first. As long as one person knows, the rest will find out. I still have my license so I can practice. Just need to start fresh somewhere else."

"Are you sure that you want to do that here? This valley isn't exactly a thrilling place."

"Maybe that's exactly what I need besides you. You are blushing," she touches my cheek.

"I still don't get what you see in me," I laugh to cover my embarrassment. "I have missed your company so much."

"I have missed you too."

I cup Monique's face and kiss her. "I'm happy you are here now," I hold her hands in each of mine.

"The moment I drove under the arch at the entrance I knew I'm taking the right steps. I only hope I don't inconvenience Olivia at the First Aid post."

"Not after what I've heard. Why don't we walk there to say hello?"

"Sure. I like your shorter hair," she rakes her fingers through it. "You still look handsome, but different."

"You find me handsome?"

"Very."

"But less than Huritt."

"You are hotter than Huritt."

"My brother will be disappointed to hear that," a chuckle escapes me.

"What have you been up to? You seem to be doing well after your surgery."

"I don't black out anymore and I'm trying to work for a few hours every day. I miss the farm and my old routine. I will never have a normal life, but I want to go back to what feels normal to me."