Chapter 32 - We Meet Again

ISTU

The last week and a half have been surreal. We've done damage control to restore the confidence of our guests that they are in a safe place. As we walk around the premises, we stop to have a chat, confirm all is well and there's nothing to worry about. Chris and Sebastian got non-life-threatening injuries, thanks God, and no guests got hurt so we should consider ourselves lucky.

The police found out how Kyle Pratt entered our premises. On the main road, before taking the exit towards the ranch, they found tire tracks on the earth that led to a car hidden in the woods. If you walk in a straight line through the trees from its location, you come eventually to our wire fence, where a hole big enough for a man to fit through was cut.

What terrified me after learning those details is that for him to reach the stables he had to walk through a playground and the campsite, meaning children and guests were around as that man carrying a weapon broke into the property.

Chris got discharged from the hospital a few days ago and returned to the ranch. Nadine and Amy are staying at the lodge as well to assist him until he's strong enough to take care of himself. We all feel responsible for them, and until Pratt is behind bars, we need to keep our family closer.

Huritt spoke with Grandma after what Kitchi told us about the wolf, but his lips are sealed. I'm curious, but my head is busy with my personal issues and the problems Pratt has caused us.

A farm owner in our area heard of Chris' act of heroism and lent us a guy to help at the farm but it isn't enough so I ran an ad on the newspaper to find extra farm hands.

My phone rings and I don't recognize the number. "Gray Wolf Ranch, this is Istu Marshall."

"With your mother."

I close my eyes and let out a deep breath, this can't be good.

"Hi, Mom."

"You would expect more emotion from my son."

"I'm sorry. How are you doing?"

"Not so well as you can imagine."

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean."

"Hasn't your grandmother told you? With that viper tongue of hers, I thought you all knew by now. I have asked your father for a divorce."

I feel surprised at the news. We noticed the strained relationship, but I never thought it would come to this.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Have you and Dad tried to work on your differences before coming to this decision?"

"The only difference is me walking into our suite to change shoes and finding him in bed with another woman."

My mouth drops open. Rowtag walks into the office and looks at me with a curious face.

"Keith doesn't want to speak to me. Isaac, you are the only comfort I have left."

"Mom, you shut my brothers out. We could have been there for you."

"Why would I want those two bastards comforting me? It should have been my first sign that your father can't keep his dick to himself."

Her words leave me puzzled. "What do you mean?"

Rowtag makes a hand movement to ask who am I talking to, but I need to find out more.

"Your father had those two kids when we got together. Got that woman pregnant when the oldest could not even walk. That one isn't even his child. Only Keith and you are my real blood. The only ones worth living."